Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifter adjustment. Possible?

Default Lifter adjustment. Possible?

I just got my truck home yesterday and the engine runs great but sounds like the lifters can use an adjustment. Are they adjustable? It is an inline 6 but I am not sure of the displacement. I believe it is an OHV engine. Any insight is appreciated.
    Ray
    67 M725 & 83 FJ60

If it's a stock 230, it's the easiest valve adjustment I've ever done: you simply loosen or tighten the pivot bolt for the rocker arm.

If it's not a 230, you'd be well advised to post up more details (or perhaps a pic) of what exactly your engine is. Generally, a valve adjustment on a typical OHV engine is done with the adjuster & locking nut on the pushrod end of the rocker arm, clearances being checked between rocker arm & valve stem.

Thank you for the help. I will take a pic soon and post it. The Valve cover says Jeep on it and it is black. I will get a pic.
    Ray
    67 M725 & 83 FJ60

From the -34 technical manual:

Figure 3-60. Adjusting Valve Clearance

1 Socket wrench
    2 Feeler gage

A suitable shield should be installed over the camshaft sprocket to prevent
    excessive oil splash and to protect the mechanic from being injured by opening
    the timing chain.

(3) Four 3/8-24 nuts and four 3/8 washers should be installed on four cam bearing
    deck studs to hold rocker arm guide in position while adjusting the valve clearance.
    (4) Insert gap gage between valve stem and rocker arm pad and adjust to 0.008-inch
    clearance. Adjust intake and exhaust valve rocker arms for all six cylinders in this manner.
    (5) Install rocker arm cover gasket and cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Note: They are advising to adjust the valves while the engine is warm and running. That is a very messy job. I have adjusted mine by rotating the engine several times and finding what appears to be top dead center. It went well except I still have one slightly noisy valve.

Note, these engines do not have push rods. The rocker arm rides directly on the cam lobe. And one lobe controls both intake and exhaust.

If your engine has an original gasket on it, most likely you will not be able to reuse it. They get hard and usually won't reseal. New ones are available but a little expensive. Do NOT over-torque the nuts holding the rocker cover. It will warp easily. When I was in Germany, the motor pool sergeant was always having a fit about the darn things being over-torqued.

Per the -20 TM: Rocker arm cover mounting nut 5-8 (TORQUE POUNDS FEET)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Note: They are advising to adjust the valves while the engine is warm and running. That is a very messy job. I have adjusted mine by rotating the engine several times and finding what appears to be top dead center. It went well except I still have one slightly noisy valve.

Note, these engines do not have push rods. The rocker arm rides directly on the cam lobe. And one lobe controls both intake and exhaust.

If your engine has an original gasket on it, most likely you will not be able to reuse it. They get hard and usually won't reseal. New ones are available but a little expensive. Do NOT over-torque the nuts holding the rocker cover. It will warp easily. When I was in Germany, the motor pool sergeant was always having a fit about the darn things being over-torqued.

Per the -20 TM: Rocker arm cover mounting nut 5-8 (TORQUE POUNDS FEET)

I also adjusted mine cold, engine off, to .008-.010”, per advice obtained here. Works great. Just rotate the fan until the cam’s “quieting arc” is under the rocker arm, and loosen or tighten the rocker arm nut to obtain the desired clearance at the valve stem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    I also adjusted mine cold, engine off, to .008-.010”, per advice obtained here. Works great. Just rotate the fan until the cam’s “quieting arc” is under the rocker arm, and loosen or tighten the rocker arm nut to obtain the desired clearance at the valve stem.
    Agreed...

Just cause I didnt see it listed above...the 230 has no lifters...rockers ride right on the cam...so rocker clearance is what is adjusted...the tech for that is already well covered above...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Here are a couple of pics of the engine. Is this a stock motor? One of the valves seems very noisy, and the engine seems to run a little rich, but it idles perfect and always starts right up even without a choke.
    I was told to use Rotella 15W40. I like the oil and I used it in my H1 Hummer, but the plaque on the dash recommends 30W.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    If it's a stock 230, it's the easiest valve adjustment I've ever done: you simply loosen or tighten the pivot bolt for the rocker arm.

If it's not a 230, you'd be well advised to post up more details (or perhaps a pic) of what exactly your engine is. Generally, a valve adjustment on a typical OHV engine is done with the adjuster & locking nut on the pushrod end of the rocker arm, clearances being checked between rocker arm & valve stem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ray
    67 M725 & 83 FJ60

Indeed, that is the Kaiser Jeep 230 CID Overhead Cam engine, original to the M715. All advice above applies!