Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: get it to run.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default get it to run.

Hey guys I've been working on the stock 230 tring to make it run, I've set the dwell, gapped the plugs, dielectric the connections, cleaned flue lines and filters. Starts on the first hit, sputters for a couple minutes and dies, cant give and throttle during sputtering. Also noticed gas leaking from the bottom butterfly housing... possible problem??
    Thanks

Sounds like your carb needs a good cleaning and the float is sticking open.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Agree, a carb clean/rebuild, cheap and simple.

Thanks, that's where I was headed too. Took it off last night and the throat and choak flap looked like the inside of a chimney, found one soggy and half split gasket under the valve body. Was wondering, when I got this it had a fuel pump with 30 psi@80 gallon flow there was a regulator but who knows. Question though is could the fuel pressure have damaged the carb?

I am no expert but I think that 30 PSI is way too high for this carburetor. Isn't it usually less than 10 PSI?

I just checked the online manual (Link at the top of this page, TM 9-2320-244-34 Direct Support and General Support Maintenance Manual) and here is what it says: "Pressure should be 3-1/2 to 5-1/2 psi at 600 rpm"

Question

Replaced the fuel pump with a 3-6psi, no better. soaked the carb for 2 days to get it clean, wired all the holes, put it back on... same thing, but it starts faster sputters a little longer. Throttle kills it, idel mixture screw at sweet spot, longest idle. Adjusted dis. ended back where it was.

Any ideas???
    Thanks

Verified TDC, all wires in order (counter clockwise).
    Was wondering, when I bought the truck the muffler was ruptured the seller knew nada, what kind of motor damage can it cause. Removed valve cover, everything moves... thinking it needs a compression check.
    ???????

Checking compression is a good idea...does it crank evenly? If there is a cylinder that is really off the others, you can usually hear that when it cranks...instead of all of them sounding the same, when the cranking gets to the low compression cylinder, the cranking will speed up for a second...the sound will change on that one every rotation...

The muffler being ruptured wouldnt in itself hurt the motor, depends how it got that way......it is possible to do that by turning the on/off switch off while the truck is running....wait a few seconds (with no ignition to burn fuel) then turn it back on...especially if you are driving at speed...I saw it done...not pretty...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

That ruptured muffler could be attributed to a back fire.