Thread: Rebuilding the NP200

Drug home some beers last night and set to work digging into the Tcase. I was trudging along happily, expecting much death and carnage inside but to my dismay it looked brandnew in there . Kinda made me wonder if my troubles were for naught. Keep in mind though that this was a mystery case that came with a parts truck so mileage and traits were unknown.

Who here has been into one of these? I'm curious if the cases that get real hot and noisy show any clues like burned/scored bearings or mangled gears? Everything in mine was near perfect!

I think I'll try to contact Chuck's Trucks since they seem to use this case a lot in their lamo rockwelled show trucks.

Luckypabst's official wrench rating:
    Print out the rebuild chapter, drag out the brewskis and get to wrenching 'cuz this is as simple as they come. My only prior experience is being into a Mopar 3 speed on a few occasions. The most difficult part will be getting the idler gear back in without the arbor. I'll cross that bridge when I get there I guess.

This job gets a 5 beer rating with 2 pee breaks and allot yourself about 1.5 hours for full disassembly. Cleanup gets another 2 beers and pee breaks to round out the evening.

I'll agree, but mine took three nights and countless beers out of the kegerator. My truck showed 9800 miles on the ticker with a '78 rebuilt tag to the motor, so I'll be the case got the once over too cause it looked brand new. Only problem I had (still having) is getting the torque right on the front drive yoke. At the specified torque (160 if I recall) I can't get a cotter pin to line up..... if you have the same problem please post your remedy....
    Mine just keeps getting taken further apart.

Maybe it\'s all the beer.

Gary,

From reading the manual, I think it gave the range of 140-160 ft-lbs and if the hole dosen't line up to tighten until it does. There should be another hole 90 degrees from the first in case you didn't notice that one.

Chris

Thanks for the information. Especially about the beer to pee ratio. Thats good to know. I had a known overheating problem at 60MPH. It has not happened since. I never take it over 50-55ish. One of these years I'll take mine apart and get out the magnaflying glass and post findings. The key word there was one of these years. I do remember someone posting a great while back the overheating was from tight tolerances not loose tolerances. So I guess now I should ask... was yours overheating or was it another problem?
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

This case was part of a truckload when I bought a parts truck so I have no idea what it did. I guess I probably should have mounted it up and ran it first.

The case that is in my truck now gets very hot but seems to be getting better as it gets used. First trip out it boiled over and with my hacked vent lines it was spraying gear oil out the back of the truck and all over traffic. After that I redid the vents and tied the rear line into the front axle line then to the air cleaner. This caused the front axle to fill with boiled gear oil. A year and a half later and it dosen't boil over anymore but it does get hot, also it seem to be getting quieter.

Chris