Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: v8 power to diesel.

Default v8 power to diesel.

How many of you have replaced your 230 or especially a v8 engine with a cummins. I'm getting very interested in replacing my buick 350 with a cummins, 4bt or 6bt? Not that I don't like the improvement from the 230 to the buick 350, I don't thinkg anyone could argue that. I would like similiar power torque to what I have with the added fuel economy and the option to run my truck for free off of waste oil. There are a lot of Cummins swaps going on and I haven't hardly followed any because I've been busy with other things. I think I would like to keep my truck stock height so a 4bt sounds in order. What mods can I do to get the torque and hp rating up a bit with the 4bt? Is it a pretty easy fit in my stock height truck. I would prefer a manual trans what do they come with or what should I look for? I'm not ready yet to spring for the cost of this conversion. Just mostly gathering all the information beforhand. I might do this next summer. I want to drive my truck more and for free sounds perfect. All information will be helpful. Thanks Everyone.

Most of your questions can be answered over at 4btswaps.com. They have sections for transmissions, performance upgrades etc.

As for manual transmission the most popular transmission is the NV4500.
    Zone holster maker

Thanks Joe. I am now a member and will be looking around at the 4btswaps site.

Hi Todd,
    I have a 4BT in my J300. There are several cummins threads that will answer most of your questions. For more info, I would check http://www.4btswaps.com
    What is it that you don't like about the Buick?
    Mikel

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    How many of you have replaced your 230 or especially a v8 engine with a cummins. I'm getting very interested in replacing my buick 350 with a cummins, 4bt or 6bt? Not that I don't like the improvement from the 230 to the buick 350, I don't thinkg anyone could argue that. I would like similiar power torque to what I have with the added fuel economy and the option to run my truck for free off of waste oil. There are a lot of Cummins swaps going on and I haven't hardly followed any because I've been busy with other things. I think I would like to keep my truck stock height so a 4bt sounds in order. What mods can I do to get the torque and hp rating up a bit with the 4bt? Is it a pretty easy fit in my stock height truck. I would prefer a manual trans what do they come with or what should I look for? I'm not ready yet to spring for the cost of this conversion. Just mostly gathering all the information beforhand. I might do this next summer. I want to drive my truck more and for free sounds perfect. All information will be helpful. Thanks Everyone.

It's not that I don't like the buick. It's more I don't like the fuel economy or lack thereof. I am thinking down the road if I can come accross a good deal on an used 4bt I might consider the swap for fuel economy and the ability to drive on waste oil. In essence drive it more for less cost in fuel. I would like to know how well a 4bt would push the truck. Hopefully there is more power than a stock truck.

Jester Guest

Hope you do it Todd. I would love to have a 4BT in my truck too. The cost of the motor is the biggest drawback for me.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I may be wrong on this, but I think that Waste Motor Oil in the Cummins has to be very, very carefully filtered (more so than a multifuel) and that the proportion has to be pretty light in comparison as well.

Still, a Cummins swap would be a nice upgrade for sure. I think my next powerplat will be diesel for sure as soon as I can find one. The gas engine I have now (BB Chevy) is OK, but like yourself, I find the 5-7 MPG a problem for any distance, and the additional simplicity of the diesel is a big appeal too.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Let's get two 4BTs and do both of ours together, Todd!

Keep us posted on what you find. As you learn some interesting bit of information, post it up so we can follow your train of thought.

This could be fun!
    -- Tim Taylor

I'm not going to limit myself to a 4bt, although that seems to be the most popular. I could go with an Isuzu 4bd or something similiar. Anyone know much about Nissan diesels that came in the Scouts? I know where there are two of them that I could get for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    I'm not going to limit myself to a 4bt, although that seems to be the most popular. I could go with an Isuzu 4bd or something similiar. Anyone know much about Nissan diesels that came in the Scouts? I know where there are two of them that I could get for nothing.
    From what I've heard, they are excellent engines. A wee bit less torquey than a 4BT, but smoother and quieter, which in an open topped vehicle that has no carpeting, should be an important consideration.

At the very least, buy the engines and resell them to buy the engine of choice for your swap.

Feel free to call me at (203)444-3074 if you want to discuss my 4BT swap.
    Good luck,
    Mikel