Thread: oilcan : modified modern brake shoes for stock axles

Default oilcan : modified modern brake shoes for stock axles

Brake shoes
    Post by oilcan on Jun 2, 2006, 1:24pm

So, I did a search for replacement brake shoes for my M715, and dug through the online manuals. I found that the rear shoes from a mid-'80's Chevy dually were mentioned, but there weren't many details. Has anyone tried these? Will they fit front and rear?

I really should have printed this stuff off the old zone when I had the chance.

I know most of the recent talk has been about relining the old shoes, but I'd like to get this sucker back together as quick as possible.

Default barrman :

Re: Brake shoes
    Post by barrman on Jun 2, 2006, 2:45pm

I have them on my truck. The only problem is that I didn't install them. I got them from another member who isn't with us anymore. Basically, if you have the Chevy shoes, a grinder and the stock ones, you can be done in a very little bit of time.

One of the Iowa crowd had a great write up with pictures of a jig he build to modify the shoes real fast. I think I have a hard copy at home. If so, I will try and get more specifics for you.

Default fsjguy :

Post by fsjguy on Jun 2, 2006, 10:44pm

I tried the Chevy thing and it didn't work. Maybe I didn't get the right ones....

Anyway, I had my originals relined @ Americal Industrial Brake in Arvada CO. (That's Denver to those outside of Colorado) They even boxed em up and shipped em to me, saving me another trip to Denver. Was about $120 with shipping, IIRC. Very nice guy and he knew exactly what he was doing. These were riveted on, just like the ones I replaced.

Default wetcj :

Post by wetcj on Jun 3, 2006, 12:45pm

Most people who know me well know I get rid of nothing, just wish I'd have thought to save the actual write-up. Do have the pictures though, we'll see how good my memory is...

Got my truck driveable just weeks before the 04 FE but it needed brakes. Had read about and knew that Joe/IA was using the "#60" brake shoes. MikeG (who I work with) convinced the local O'Reillys to sell them to us at about $35 since we'd be buying several sets between my truck and his fleet. Required different upper springs also, Raybestos #H122 is what we used.
    I installed the new shoes with new wheel cylinders(from ABLinn) on the rear first. Got the wife to come down and help me bleed it. After about a half an hour she was tired and I was ed, could not get a decent pedal (should mention that I had previously installed a new 1970 Impala, drum/ drum, dual 1" master cyl. so I knew that wasn't an issue). Tried adjusting the brakes up tighter and found that it didn't seem to adjust properly. I always adjust them out tight then back them off the same number of "clicks" on both sides and something just didn't feel right in that process. Took a drum back off the next night and after staring at it for a while decided that the position of the anchor pin at the top of the backing plate didn't allow the shoes to center properly, it tried to position them too high in the drum.
    Since the shoes looked identical to the originals other than the top and a minor difference in the adjuster notch depth (which the adjuster could compensate for) I decided to modify them.
    I made this jig

Original shoe in jig

Unmodified #60 shoe

Cutting the shoe

Cut, just clean up with a file

This bump on the bottom of the shoe needs to be ground flat also (insides only) to work with the M715 backing plate, don't try hammering flat, shoe will crack (voice of experience)

Installed

After doing both axles this way they adjusted properly, bled properly (wife was happier) and worked good with very little pedal travel.

Note- I did mine this way because I liked the idea of locally available parts and they were cheaper than original shoes at that time which may not be true anymore.

Default oilcan :

Post by oilcan on Jun 3, 2006, 2:06pm

That's what I was looking for! Thanks man.
    Lovely pics, too.