Thread: airborne : Timing cover

Default airborne : Timing cover

Timing cover
    Post by airborne on Dec 21, 2006, 1:10pm

I'm wondering about changing to a civy cover to maybe help with the water pump ?'s. What do you guys think about this. Brute, Taco, anyone else ????

Default brute4c :

Re: Timing cover
    Post by brute4c on Dec 21, 2006, 1:14pm

On a 230 it isnt possible....the civvy 230 has a plate between the timing cover and the block and head that has the motor mounts on ears at the bottom of it....the timing cover on the civvy engine is a whole different part and has a different waterpump to boot...the plate works as an adapter between the block and head and the timing cover...the width of the timing cover is different, among other things, like the waterpump mounting surface and stud pattern....

Either a civvy motor an cover or a mil motor and cover...no mixing there...

Default airborne :

Post by airborne on Dec 21, 2006, 2:09pm

Really. Well so much for that idea. Thanks,Jon.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Dec 21, 2006, 2:14pm

Its weird I know....between the civvy and mil engines, its almost 2 different motors...there is so much different....I'm glad the distributors and intakes interchange though....

Default airborne :

Post by airborne on Dec 22, 2006, 10:47am

brute4c, Jon where did you get that info? I've never even seen anything on it and would like to. Thanks.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Dec 22, 2006, 11:07am

I bought a 230 civvy version, from a guy for the civvy ignition and 2 barrel and intake...actually I got the whole truck that was rusted out pretty good. I pulled the motor and was checking out all the differences...like the oddball motor mount locations and the plate they attached to...
    I wanted to keep the waterpump as a spare but found out the pattern was all wrong...and that led to the timing cover being wrong as well...

If you look at the head/timing cover on a mil engine, the top has 2 bolts that go in through the cover to the head. On the civvy motor, one of these bolts from the cover actually bolts to the plate between the block and head and not to the head itself as the cover is wider there and the bolt would fall farther to the drivers side than there is head to bolt to. I still have the civvy head with its one upper hole. There are also "wings" on the front of the mil head to cover the corners of the timing cover in the front...the plate on the civilian version does this, otherwise there would be a leak...if you look at this pic:

Look at the sides of the block running forward toward the timing cover. This is the mil version of the motor...the head has the same angle pieces at the timing cover end which extend all the way out to the end of the #1 piece on the left and farther than the #1 piece on the right...

Imaging where the head would end if those triangles werent there....if the block and head came forward with straight sides....that what the civvy engine does. It would leave quite a space...which is taken up by that goofy plate between the timing cover and the block and head...

I may be able to get a shot of that for you...let me look...

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Dec 22, 2006, 11:20am

If you go to this page:

http://perso.orange.fr/morbius/jeep....orisation.html

Last drawing at the bottom is a civvy 230...note the fan bolts on instead of being pressed on and their is a vacuum advance unit on the distributor....

You can also see a large protrusion just behind and below the distributor...this is the lower passenger end of the plate that is between the front of the motor and the timing cover...the 45 degree up angled bottom end of this sits on the engine mount on this side of the vehicle...other side is similiar...

The one I bought was in a Jeep Universal pickup and actually had the power steering lower bolt going to the protrusion on the drivers side that is like this one only shorter...

I may have a better shot at home...

Default airborne :

Post by airborne on Dec 22, 2006, 2:12pm

That is wild! I would never have guessed! Thanks brute, I'm not as dumb as I once was!

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Dec 22, 2006, 4:00pm

I know what you mean....I once thought I had a spare block, heads, crank....etc....turned out not at all....