Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: duece wheels on a 715

Default duece wheels on a 715

Anyone ever attempt to cut the centers out of a stock 715 wheel and weld it into a duece wheel?
    Thought this may be an inexpensive way to get some taller tires on the truck.

Default wheels

i have a '47 wdx power wagon with duece wheels. wasnt that hard, cut the centers of pw wheels out with torch then turn od down to a common size on lathe. the duece centers are riveted in so the whole center comes out then mill out proper size hole & install your centers from the pw & weld away. then install centers on hub & put rim on & set backspace. weld away again. seems like a lot of work but it is simple metal work, just need to keep everything square ( sounds funny dealing with a round shape huh? ) the first time i did this was in high school when i put some small tractor rims on my cj3b. didnt think about proper backspace & when i went to turn lugs on tires caught front fender & rolled it into a ball. who needs fenders on a jeep anyway?
    andy

I know a member who took the riveted duece rims, cut the rivelts and flipped something around, then riveted back or welded them back together...I think welded...its been a while...then he drilled the M715 pattern into the rim and ran them. He did 2 sets as his dad had an M715 and they wanted to use the 9,00-20 tires on both...those tires fit without lift on a stock truck by the way.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Your right Jon, he fliped the centers around for better 'backspaceing', as the duce rims are set up for duels. He did drill the 715's bolt pattern in the duce rims, I think, between the duce lug holes. He also had the trailer done. Looked real nice, till I priced the duce rims,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Jester Guest

Wish I had better....

Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Quote Originally Posted by airborne View Post
    Your right Jon, he fliped the centers around for better 'backspaceing', as the duce rims are set up for duels. He did drill the 715's bolt pattern in the duce rims, I think, between the duce lug holes. He also had the trailer done. Looked real nice, till I priced the duce rims,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
    Where these standard Deuce rims or older rims? The reason I ask in I have over a dozen spare rims.

I hadn't thought about using them on the M715. They look really good.

Warthog
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

I remeber him saying they had to be the riveted ones...other than that I dont know.

Jester Guest

that is cool looking. Still very military.

If you want to re use the centers, then the riveted is better. If you are going to make plate centers from scratch, then it really doesn't matter. Any shop with a big enough lathe can cut the old centers out.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw