Thread: maddawg308 : Fuel tank sending unit

Default maddawg308 : Fuel tank sending unit

Fuel tank sending unit
    Post by maddawg308 on Dec 14, 2006, 12:49pm

Okay, got the gas tank back from the Re-Nu treatment, and was going to plug it back in but here's an issue:

This is going back on a rig that has not been started in 10 years. Most people say the military gas tank sending units are pretty rugged, and work more often than not when sitting for some time. Issue is, should I replace my sending unit when it may work just fine, or replace it with another sending unit just in case? And if so, where would I get an NOS or drop-in commercially available replacement?

Default brute4c :

Re: Fuel tank sending unit
    Post by brute4c on Dec 14, 2006, 12:59pm

For a stock 24 volt unit, I dont know for sure...I think Star Electric had some for another military vehicle that could be made to work as they have adjustable depth on them...contact:

Star Electric Ordnance
    Kevin Emdee, President
    368 Big Oak Trail
    Radcliff, KY 40160-9749
    Phone: 270-877-0813
    Fax:270-877-5042
    Email: Kevin.Emdee@comcast.net

If you want something other than the stock type, you will have to change the gauge as well...you will need to match the new sending unit and gauge as far as the scale they use...GM, Stewart Warner, etc. One source that has been used by several members for this is 12 volt set from Napa, part #501-1742 has the sending unit (tank) plus the gauge (dash) included.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Dec 14, 2006, 2:01pm

Why not hook up some batteries and cycle the sening unit to see if the guage moves?

Default robsgp :

Post by robsgp on Dec 14, 2006, 3:40pm

Quote:
    One source that has been used by several members for this is 12 volt set from Napa, part #501-1742 has the sending unit (tank) plus the gauge (dash) included.

Cool. I'll file this away too. Mine is 12v. It's never had more than 5 gal in the tank, but I've never seen the needle move either. Seems I get much better service from my local Napa with a part number in hand.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Dec 14, 2006, 3:44pm

Funny you mention that....

I took my tank out and had it rhino lined a couple years ago..of course it was DRY when I put it back in...with a new gaugeand sending unit on 12 volt....I used one that I have to adjust to fit and I got it pretty good...as good as it would allow....it doesnt quite touch the top of the tank or the bottom...but not by much....the gauge I put in is digital.

To check where the gauge started to read, I filled a 1 gallon container from a 5 gallon gas can and started slowly pouring in....it ended up that as I neared the end of the 5 gallons, the gauge finally moved off 0% to 1%....

Default robsgp :

Post by robsgp on Dec 14, 2006, 3:56pm

Good to know too. I'll dump a couple Jerry cans in before replacing anything.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Dec 14, 2006, 4:28pm

By the way, you just need an Ohm meter to check out your current sender. Put one lead on the plug and the other as a ground. Move the float and see if the resistance changes. If it does in a recognizable pattern every time, then it works.