Thread: osut362 : heater/defroster cables

Default osut362 : heater/defroster cables

heater/defroster cables
    Post by osut362 on Dec 23, 2006, 7:07pm

i'm now ready for the 3 push/pull cables for the heat, defrost, & air. anybody have a source for these? they are marked on the knobs: heat, air, & defrost. not looking for nos. just some long enough and with the function on the knob. any ideas?

Default barrman :

Re: heater/defroster cables
    Post by barrman on Dec 23, 2006, 9:18pm

Al,
    I thought I had scored a source when I got a '63 Wagoneer a few months ago. Only the flapper under the hood is cable operated. The rest are vacuum. The J-trucks might be different. That leaves you with military cables or non marked ones. I too am holding out for the marked ones and just Zip tied my flappers so I have full air, full heat and 1/2 defrost.

A weird source might me aircraft. Every single engine plane I have ever been in had a knob marked "heat" on the heater cable. The airport in Tyler might have some used ones sitting around. Trade-A-Plane is probably the best place to look for used airplane stuff by the way.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Dec 24, 2006, 12:38am

This might be cheesy, but I've seen heater cables in the HELP! section at the parts places.

Default pistolnut :

Post by pistolnut on Dec 24, 2006, 12:49am

I was thinking about Barrman's idea. These don't say "heat" but some of them could be way cool...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...ttle.html?pg=1

Default fasteddie :

Post by fasteddie on Dec 24, 2006, 8:09am

I got my cables from Mill Supply ,part #54-025 . You can access the online catalog , choose step van parts then heater parts for Grumman then control cables . There are differant styles and lenghts . Knobs are just plain black .

Default airborne :

Post by airborne on Dec 24, 2006, 10:18am

JCW has the 'jeep' cables, so to does 'Q-T', if you just want cables. My heater came out of a Ford truck, only has cables for heat/defrost and temp, with a 3 speed fan motor.

Default fastfrankie :

Post by fastfrankie on Dec 24, 2006, 1:24pm

I used two of those cables from the HELP section...lol...they aren't too strong in moving the flappers...and at $9.00 each, you'd be better off buying some good ones off Ebay or something that are for the M715.

Default osut362 :

Post by osut362 on Dec 25, 2006, 8:45pm

thanks for the input guys. i did see some on ebay. seller said they were for a "69 cj. knobs marked correct but looked way too short. if anybody sees anything "post-up" so we all know........al

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Dec 26, 2006, 10:28am

The only source I know of is buyng an NOS heater kit and they come with...but that would be stupid expensive unless someone wanted the rest of the heater kit and not the cables....very unlikely...