Thread: stock guage questions

Default stock guage questions

I have just done an engine swap in my '67 715. I put in a J truck running gear consisting of a '79 360/T-15/Dana 20. My dad usually does all the electrical and I do the mechanical stuff. I told him that the 715 came from the factory set up for 24 volts so he is swapping everything over right now. We have swapped out most all bulbs, but we are trying to get the original gauges to work if possible. The only one we have been able to move the needle on by just putting power to it is the temperature guage. My question is will the original gauges be able to work and if so how will I need to get my dad to wire them up? Thanks for any help, I did a search and couldn't find exactly the answer I was looking for, Chris.

The gauges need 24 volts and a sender matched to them. The temp and oil gauges will move even if hooded up wrong.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

You are converting to 12 volts right?

If so, you will need all new gauge and sending units for them...neither of the stock pieces will work.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

If you're doing a swap anyway, I'd recommend a set of mechanical guages. I did mechanical guages in mine and now have a mechanical temp and oil pressure guage. I also swapped in a 12V fuel guage and sender (you will need a different fuel sending unit) and a 12V voltmeter.

The nice thing is, the guage openings are all standard 2-5/8" so any of the popular brand guages will fit the original dash.

Default Thanks guys

Thanks guys that is all I needed to know. I thought we might have to go to all new modern 12 volt style guages, thanks again, Chris.

BTW, Napa has a kit that includes the fuel sending unit and guage for a great price. Do a quick search of the mod forum and you should find it. The stock speedo will also work but your gearing in your T-case will prolly through it off as far as accuracy.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

501-1742 is the fuel guage/sender kit part number for NAPA...Works like a champ.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™