Thread: Hooking up winch.

Default Hooking up winch.

I just bought my m715 and its got a 4bt cummins with a turbo 400. Super sweet truck. My question is:: is ther any other way to power the winch off my setup. No PTO on the 400 ya know. Would like to have the winch but am trying to come up with a idea on powering it.

Depending what transfercase you have, there may be a PTO port on it but I'm not sure how you would control it without a clutch as I have never used a PTO on an automatic.

You may also be able to run a hydraulic pump as an engine accessory and then mount a hydraulic motor on the winch's input shaft with a reservoir under the hood somewhere essentially turning it into a hydraulic winch.

Not sure if either would work -- just some ideas...

If you decide to sell that winch, let me know.

The TH400 doesn't have a PTO option. The NP200 doesn't either (assuming you have the stock divorced transfer case).

NP205 t-case is the best way to add it.
    Where is Bryson?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Has anyone here done a hydraulic winch setup? That might be easier for me with the winch i have as well-certainly not cheaper but easier.

I thought about hydraulic. We use them on our big trucks and rigs. Pretty simple to hook up if the little cimmins has an aux drive hole under the fuel pump. Ill have to check on that. Bryson is about 70 miles northwest of ft worth texas. Pop about 500

Wow no one has hooked up a hydro system for a winch? I'm a little stumped on motor sizing for such a thing. I have a 8000lb winch off a gamagoat (or so I've been told) but no idea how large a hydro motor I would need. I looked under a 6x6 and the motor for its HUGE winch is really pretty small. My uncle said I could use a CharLynn pump he has-its brand new but I've yet to find any good info on it-part number 101 1002 007. Found rebuild kits etc but no specs. I'm wondering what kind of torque you would need? Suppose it would make a difference if it was direct drive or chain (then you could gear it) So again any thoughts?

check out www.ptohydraulics.com Maybe they have something that will work. Good Luck

Was going to run a PTO as I was given the parts to set it up-of course I used a SM420 trans and not an SM465---take note here guys-the 465 has PTO ports on BOTH sides-the SM420 only on one-and I really dont want to have a pillow block and chain running across the front.