Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailering Across Country

Has anyone rented a truck and trailer or truck with a flatbed and brought their truck a long distance? I'm looking to bring my truck from CT to AZ, and driving isn't really an option since it doesn't run yet. I called up Penske but their flat beds max out at 4500 lbs and a 120" wheel base, and the didn't have trailers that could do that much weight either.
    I heard that paying a service to do it cost like 2G.
    Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Scott

When I was in the Military I recieved orders for Ft Bragg..I called around for all the truck/trailer rental places since I had one vehicle more than I had drivers.. It was cheaper to buy a trailer than it was to rent one for that distance so that would be my suggestion.. Also once you get where you are going if you do not want the trailer you can sell it for most or maybe even all your money back depending on how good a deal you get when you buy it..

I forgot to put that it was from Ft Lewis Wa to Ft bragg Nc.

I had my 725 hauled from Wisconsin to Omaha, about 500 miles, cost me $500. That was knowing the owners of the hauling company, normal rate would be about $1000. So I think warlock is on the right path if you can find a large enough trailer to haul it on, then sell the trailer.

Wouldn't hurt to check with some trucking companies, see if they have a partial load going east that they could throw yours on with.

Rich
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Thanks for the input guys, been looking on Ebay for some ideas on trailer prices. Anyone know if a 18" tandem 3500lb axle with one axle brakes would cut it? Trying to stay as cheap as possible but not kill myself. I guess I'll have to stop buy a few trailer sales places.

Thanks,
    Scott
    TBI 454 and chunked up XL's.

I'd recommend 4 way brakes. And be sure to tie down to the axles and not the frame/body. The repeated bouncing and shocking of the tiedowns will break them. Don't ask me how I know....
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Buying a trailer is the way to go, and I'd also recommend renting a Uhaul truck or such as towing that much trailer with a tow vehicle of yours is pretty rough unless you own a 1 ton.

I was in this shape with a company truck that I had break down 4 hours from home. Tow companies wanted close to $900, and I found a trailer across the street from my busted truck that ran $1200. I still have the trailer as opposed to just throwing away the $900.

Luck,
    -B.

Dash Auto Transport charged me $795 to bring a 66 Toronado from CO to CT.

I towed my truck 330 miles home on a rented trailer ($90/day). The trailer had dual axels and was rated for 5000 LB - that was the largest rental I could find. I had second thoughts when I looked at the trailer and it had chinese tires w/ C load ratings but I need to get on the road. That ride sucked. After about 45 miles, I blew a tire @ 55 mph and the trailer started rocking wildly from side to side - I thought the danm thing was going to filp and take the tow vehicle w/ it. That scared the S##T out of me. Changed the tire, slowed down to 45 and swore I'd never do this again.

Well, time passes and memory begins to fade - I may do it again but I'd do it a little differently the next time. I agree w/ B-, Towing is hard on your truck, rent a 1-ton to save wear and tear on your vehicle and make sure the trailer is rated for at least 8000 lb!

i rent car trailers where are ya?

I don't know if you saw my truck on the penski trailer on the BS page but I was able to do it. I had no problems. it looked scary but worked fine. I had the penske 25ft truck and it was great didn't feel it behind me. I do recomend getting the truck with the Diesel? it would be worth the wait. I towed it 26hrs straight about from CA to TX. and yes tie to the axle. I lost 2 straps not doing it that way.