Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailgate Fabrication

Default Tailgate Fabrication

I've been looking for a tailgate close by with no real luck. Because I can fabricate just about anything, I thought I could make one. I really want the Jeep logo on the back cause not to many people believe the large truck is a Jeep or even know about them. I've read where you can use a J truck's gate and patch it into one just to get the JEEP stamping.

First thought was to cut the letters out of a thin sheet with a CNC plasma and weld them onto a plate. Then use a filler to get the round stamped look. Hours of sanding etc.

Has anyone tried forming the stamping? I thought I might try a thin sheet with some letters cut from wood or a CNC plasma cut letter from metal. Then torch the thin sheet over the mold. I know it will potatoe chip or curl and warp, but I thought I might be able to flatten it and keep it that way with a backing plate and the tailgate frame. I'm not a blacksmith, so I have no real experience with heat forming except for our stock wheel flares, and bending tubing with sand and a torch.
    Go Ahead, Make my day

If you go to the trouble to CNC plasma the letters. It would be just as easy to cut the parts from 1/4" and make die for each letter. The trouble would be setup in a press. You could get the money back in sales. Hint Hint

That is a great idea. but, making the trademarked name for profit will bring a lawsuit your way. That is why the two new tailgate kits I am aware of don't say Jeep on them. Maybe with the new owners, somebody can get the license to stamp them again?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

there isnt enough $$$$$$$$ in the market place to warrent the expense of doing it or i would have done it in my repro gates. just use stick - on letters from a sign shop. knowbody but a m715 nut will know the difference or just buy a good t-gate....
    bob

I had the resources to have the stamp done, forget the lawsuit mumbo jumbo. The set up cost, buddy plan was lets say I could but 10 good tailgates! Unless there rusted out in the jeep area there simple to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by vrod02 View Post
    I had the resources to have the stamp done, forget the lawsuit mumbo jumbo. The set up cost, buddy plan was lets say I could but 10 good tailgates! Unless there rusted out in the jeep area there simple to fix.
    ? I don't understand the statement "of but 10 good tailgates!"

I think Tim had a good point, but I didn't look to make a profit, just a good replica. I don't think my non jeep friends would be convinced with the vinyl stick on's, however, I have a great friend that could do that.

My question was one of heating the sheet metal to form it. Anyone ever try it and have decent results? Or is it an impossibility?
    Go Ahead, Make my day

I am trying to wrap my mind around what you want to do. I keep thinking of you making a set of dies for each letter and heating the metal to aid the stamping process. Is that what you are talking about? I am not trying to knit pick, I just haven't figured out the method you are thinking of.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I have to agree with Tim I'm not quite following your ling of thought. If you are going to make dies either out of metal or wood I would think all you would need to do is get them to press into the sheet metal to make the raised letter. The big proplem would be having the force required to press the letters out. Maybe if you have a 2 or 3 ton hydralic press in your shop that might do it.
    Are you saying you want to heat the metal to make it easier to press the letter out?
    Zone holster maker

I don't believe your idea of making a die is a valuable use of your talent because the fabrication and time involved in getting it right would really out weigh the cost of a replacement. The plasma idea sounds doable but the best bet is just to pay 200 bucks for an original if you really want the logo.

I vote for cutting the letters out and welding them on. Either fully welded or even just stitch welded. You'll have raised letters that you can paint white or something to stand out, and everyone except the most savvy M-715 owner will think thats how it came. I understand your desire to make exactly reproduce the stock appereance, but I think it will look the best going this route. If your going to make your own tailgate, go as far as even making it just a bit different then the stock one. I don't know how or what, but just add a custom touch to it. Everyone will think its stock, and M-715 owners will see that its custom.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725