Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Camper Special

Another update. This time I'm mocking up fitting the intercooler here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3VtDNXEwso

I've also pressure washed the motor, grill, valance and fenders but dont mind the rust, I'm working on it.

One of the best things jeep did to the exterior of any that rolled out of Toledo was the rhino grill (IMO).

I always wanted one for my ol' wagoneer and cherokee but sold them before I got around to it. Theres certain things this truck just tells me to do, like keep the air force paint and clean off the rhino grill. Not military but might look more so if I can find a brush guard.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Painted the engine a "cast iron" enamel that ended up being a lighter color than the original and more of a metallic. It should be be light enough if I have to chase any oil leaks, I like it.

I also did the killer dowel pin, more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywfY2PnBJCw

I have the intercooler finally in. I'm not sure I've seen most folks here use the 1st gen intercooler and in this vid you can see why. It's really too wide to fit the black out lights and takes some work to get in there. I had to grind off the 4 mounting tabs for the AC condenser, which is ok because that's going between the rad and intercooler. Had to do some grinding on the nut under the post the hood lines up on (what ever you call it). Also it's tight within the wheelwells as shown in the previous vid. Anyway, it's just wanted to share this for reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8EEsndg_NA

Also in taking the fenders apart you can see where the rust problems occur. They assembled the fenders then painted. Obviously the metal between the fender and body and fenders and wheelwells is bare rusting sheetmetal, not good.

I'm glad to see this thing is back on the way to getting done! There is a 725 that is fifteen miles away from me that hasn't been driven in 5 years and the body is rust free and PERFECT and if I can ever get ahold of the guy I will have to buy this thing! These things are sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS UNGER View Post
    I'm glad to see this thing is back on the way to getting done! There is a 725 that is fifteen miles away from me that hasn't been driven in 5 years and the body is rust free and PERFECT and if I can ever get ahold of the guy I will have to buy this thing! These things are sweet!
    Hey Chris, go for it. With the enclosed cab and body built by Mark Body Co in Mi they're in pretty good shape usually. If toledo made the box different story.
    How is your cummins running? Whats your impressions of the swap?

I have put around 15k miles on mine and is running great. My 5 speed was questionable when I did the swap and now it needs to be rebuild but so far so good. The noise in the cab gets a little old but when the top is off its great!

Ive been doing some small stuff recently.

I wanted to remove a couple from leaves from the spring pack before I do the tranny crossmember.

Here from the bottom, leaf 1 and 3 are outing keeping the retainer on #2.

Tomorrow I'll clean and paint the dana 60

Cleaned and painted (POR15) the front D60. Here's a little before and after.

Here's the difference with the leaves removed. It lowered 2", notice the space above the top of the tire and frame in the top "before" pic. This seems to have leveled out nicely.

Looking good, the weather is finally turning so it will be nice to get some wrenching done.