Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: replacing stock gears in existing axle

Default replacing stock gears in existing axle

Is there a source for the 4.56 gears that swap into the stock axle? Is that my only choice without swapping out the stock axle? If I want 4 wheel disc brakes is it just better/cheaper to use a donor axle? From what? I plan to do the 4bt swap with a 700r4 automatic. I'd like a 50 mph cruising speed. There is a bewildering array of info on here and I'm not educated enough yet to know what's best. Any advice would be appreciated.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Randy's Ring and Pinion was the last ones that had any gears last I checked. I can't remember for sure, but I think 4.88's were all they had left. They were getting quite pricey too and then add install kits and labor if you can't do it yourself.

As far as economically, to get 4 wheel discs, you'd be better off doing a swap. Only one company, Ugly Truckling makes a disc conversion for the stock axles and with the expense its hardly worth it in my opinion given the limited parts avaialbility for the old 60/70 stock combination.

The Dana 60 front, and a 14 bolt GM from a van are the most common swap. You'll have to do disc brakes on the rear to get the clearance for the leaf springs, unless you move them inside the frame rails.

Were it me, I'd do the swap. Easy parts availability, newer components, and stronger axles overall.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Was that combo common in the CUCV?

Yes in some. I know that a few of the CUCV's had 3.08's and 10 bolts and I believe a corporate front diff. So watch out for that. I think that was mostly the Blazers though.

Make sure to get the CUCV axles from anything but the 1009 (Blazer) - the 1008 was also a 5/4 pickup but with a open diff modern D60 in front and a Corp 14 bolt with a lunchbox locker in the rear (easy disk break conversion) and both were loaded with the big carrier and 4.56:1 gears - good choice for an M

I looked for the 14 bolt axle on E bay and found a few just to get an idea of $. The listed length was 67" but the sticky on axles seemed to indicate that 73" was ideal. Also what about stockish looking tires and rims? Is there a way to keep the stock rims? I just got 4 newish NDT tires.

I think it's the budd rims that look close to stock - but to be honest when you get the standard 8 lug bolt pattern your choices for rims are just about endless . Plus you can run the NDT's w/wo a tube on modern rims too (I think)

If you go with GM axles, a set of Hummer Beadlocks look really good with a set of XL's.

The maintance truck M1028? has lockers front and rear. Just sold a set a few months back.

I thought the 1028 had a limited-slip in the front d60? 1008 were open.