Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro Tool Disc Brake Conversion Price

I think that I might have told him about people not liking the price. Was I being a ??? I think not. I was very professional when I told him about people being concerned about the price. I dont sugar coat things, I tell it like it is. Its interesting that whoever made the post about it being $425 a corner deleted the post. I worked in a machine shop for a year and a half so I know whats involved with it when he tells me the work that goes into it. For what he has to do I think it is very reasonable. At this point I am keeping my options open for fixing my brake problem. I even told this to Rich. He was kind enuff to give recomendations on alternative front and rear axles. Thats the type of person that he is.

i agree. i have posted numerous "fixes" from stainless tanks, stronger shafts, and others with very negative support.

i would go CUCV axles, if it was me.... which i did

Kalikraven, if you think the price is reasonable, why do you say you are keeping your options open? Sounds like your thinking about backing out. Are you? I DELETED THE $425 a corner smartass line from my post cause it was offensive to Rich. He told me someone came by his shop and told him about it, then he explained all the detail invovlved in doing this work. Whats so flippin interesting about that? I'm one of two guys who's been in on this from the beginning. Why take an attitude with me?
    Mine just keeps getting taken further apart.

Maybe it\'s all the beer.

I'm not trying to make this issue personal with anyone. When I started this whole thing with the Pro Tool Disc brake conversion I had no idea what the final price would be. I do have a limit for what I am willing to spend before it becomes econnomically feasable to start looking at other options. My long term goal for the truck is four wheel disc brakes, front locking hubs and 4.56 gears. If the Pro Tool kit was within a certain price range for me then it would make sense for me to get it and do the other conversions later on. Right now I'm at the edge of my price limit. If I'm going to be spending alot of money I like to get the most bang for my buck. My other option would be to spend the money on a CUCV dana 60 Front and 14 Bolt rear. Both of these prodjects have additional exspenses. For the Pro Tool Kit it is the disc and calipers. The CUCV swap has the other modifacation exspenses that I'm looking into now, but the rear disc kit and new spring perches along with the stearing linkage is a given.

When I talked to Rich I did'nt mention who was concerned about the price, I just told him that some people though it was exspensive. Like I said before I support Rich and understand what goes into his work. Nothing here is personal, its all professional. I think its exspensive too but that dont mean that it is'nt worth the price or that it can be done cheaper. You get what you pay for..... It sure beats the Heli Tool kit with the rotors that need to get modified in order to be used.

There's 2 things I don't understand about this thread.

1) How I became a bad guy.
    2) Just what it is that Lee agrees with.

Kalikraven - there are four things we agree on.

We both want disc brakes.
    The Helitool kit is not as good as Rich's set up.
    You get what you pay for.
    Rich Brandi is a really good guy.

I'll say it again, I'm sorry I whined about the price, it showed my ingorance. I'm just trying to help keep this together.

Let me know how your axle swap option goes. I tried the same thing before I went down the disc brake conversion path and found it to be more expensive and difficult and anyway, I want to keep it stock appearing . If you back out, after being the champion of the cause, please let me and PoolMike know, since it will effect us both.

Anyone else want disc brakes???????

Your not the bad guy. I was just wondering if it was me or someone else that told Rich that people were talking about him. I just told him how it was being very professional. Now if someone else made a big stink about it then hey it was'nt me. I know that I'm not the only one that talked to him about it.

I think Lee is saying that he gets shot down alot whenever he talks about doing a super cool custom mods.

I still havent decided on what to do about the brakes. I will know by the end of the week. Like I said Its at my Threshold for looking at other options. For the amount of money for just disc, I could upgrade the whole axle and get 4.56 gears and locking hubs. The downside is it has unkown cost and requires critical fabrication in the area of the spring perches with pinion angle. I do like the stock look. I'm really just undecided as far as whats more econamical vs stock look vs durability..........

kali was right. i dont mind though, to each his own. i read lots of mods, here and there. I decided to do what i did and do it all at once. ive made mistakes, AND wasted money. looking back on it I think i have made good decisions in trying to not do redundant mods. instead of cobbling things together and having to change mods later, i decided to turn my truck off in april 2003, pull it down and do it right, ONCE.
    i have 3000 dollars in a set of CUCV axles (including selling my stock ones for 400)
    i have a detroit electrac limited slip/electric locker in the front, lockout hubs too.
    stock axles plus 2000 in discs and theres no lockouts (350) and you still have 4.56 gears and NO lockers (welded is free, but front and rear is at least 800 in parts, if you put them in yourself) 4.56 gears is at LEAST 1000 more..... so then i would have 4000+ in stock axles that are weaker. I lost my stock rims, but gained better axles, off the shelf parts and support and i retained the stock look.

i see it as a toss up. the 1000 dollar difference will by custom rims, then its a dollar for dollar swap.

and i love my stainless tank too!

Lee thanks for all your inflated math and understated expense on your conversion. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get my disc brakes anyway.

The axle swap is the way to go as far as price goes. For my application, I don't need 4.56's, stronger axle shafts, and I don't have the tools or time to do the job properly. A simple bolt on brake set up is for me! I can have installed in a day or two. Hopefully this will all work out.

Default Hello I'm Frank

poolmike,i understand not everyone needs nor wants 4.56 gears. my diesel had to have them.

edited for my stupidity