Thread: Automatic brake adjusters in the drum from Corporate 14 bolt

Default Automatic brake adjusters in the drum from Corporate 14 bolt

Re: 4:10 gears in the stock axles
    Post by boghog on Apr 24, 2006, 10:06am

I have a question, is are there any replacement brake drums out there? I don't think the adjusters would be that hard to make up, given some time and the breakdown of some of the ones that are in use today on other axles.
    Last edited by brute4c; December 16th, 2009 at 01:41 PM.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Apr 24, 2006, 10:15am

If I remember right, the adjuster deal was done by swapping backing plates and outboard from a corporate 14 bolt to the M715 rear axle...little ovaling of holes in the bolt pattern I think was all that was needed...

The front did not allow for this swap and so no front adjuster had been found for the stock Dana 60.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Apr 24, 2006, 4:23pm

The member who did the swap used the backing plates and shoes and springs off a corporate 14 bolt...this gave him a better parts supply, more common and cheaper, and the adjusters. Problem is that one cant do this to the front...I dont remember the specific holdup but I no it was not gonna happen...

This did use the stock drum...due to the bolt pattern nothing else would work...of course...

Default gonz :

Post by gonz on Apr 26, 2006, 12:07pm

I had a machine shop machine out the center hole to match the original backing plate from a 14 bolt axle. I wanted that to be perfect- was about $55 to get done. It wasn't a lot of metal to be removed though. I did have to oblong the bolting holes to match the dana 70 holes, it's just a little off. It's still on my parts truck, so I haven't run it, but I did talk with a few guys on the yahoo site who did the same thing, except they reholed the center themselves. I'd prefer a proper center to ensure equal pressures all around, but it did work. When I get it put under, I'll have a e brake that isn't on the drivetrain. The plates cost me $20 to pull it myself, $55 to machine the center hole, and a brake rebuild kit which was around $35 total (?)- it's been a while, but I can now walk right into checker and get brake pads for the rear- gonz

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Apr 26, 2006, 4:01pm

Thanks for that info Gonz!!! There used to be a page on a members site on how he did it but its long since disappeared and I was playing from memory....