Thread: backfiring through carb

I was having problems with my rig loading up and or backfiring through the carb, along with no power. I rebuilt the carb, put in new plugs (about half preatty heavily fouled) checked the pug wires and points. got it back togeather and set the timming. She runs great at idle, stong sounding and running 1st through 3rd gear for the first mile then starts backfirring through the carb in rapid sucession while over idle speed. Any thoughts?
    Too much more agrivation tring to get it to run good, I'll be looking for a doner to swap engines.

Sounds like distributor cap. Under lighter loads, the ignition system functions OK, but under loads the spark engergy finds a path of lesser resistance - carbon tracking through a cracked distributor cap. Sounds more ignition than fuel-related.

These things will run with the timing WAY out of whack, and surprizingly well at low speads/loads with on or two dead cylinders - when load/RPMs climb - all heck breaks loose. Pretty textbook of my experiences with this engine.

Go back to basics - firing order correct, point gap set right, plugs gapped adn clean? Did you burn-up the center contact inside your ditsributor cap? Rotor lose tension and sag? All distributor contacts (and rotor) clean?

Double-check distributr cap and firing order first.

Not slammig your wrenchng skills, but you asked!

Good luck, and let us know...

Bob
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

This happened to a couple members at different times in the past...it turned out that outside the normal stuff you have done, they screwed up one little thing that caused the ok at lower gear situation/ bad in 4th...
    When installing the points, they put the spring arm part on the wrong side and it didnt give enough pressure on the points to work right...ok at lower speeds but faster and higher gear, no good...worth a look in there to see...
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default M715 Towbar piece needed!!

Well, we agree that it's ignition, that's a start.

I got a sixer of Mich lite that says it's the cap, rotor, or firing order.

You know you are right...you are the ZOGN!!
    I'll bet you are anyway, but just thought I'd throw the other in there as when it has happened in the past, it was always a long time before it was discovered and it hasn't been posted on the new boards yet...planning ahead!!
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

ZOGNs RULE! YAYYYY!

Checked the cap last nite, full of carbon and cracks! You guys are a great help!!! Thanks Just wish I would of ask first, it would have saved the beer budget! Will any other cap work other than the high price ones at jeepsurplus or Memphis Supply?

The M715 cap is the same as the M37 cap...still a mil surplus item, but you can price some of the Dodge M37 sources instead of just M715 ones...don't know if it will help much...
    brute4c