Thread: Carb. idling/half choke question

Default Carb. idling/half choke question

Need some help, maybe its a no-brainer, but I need to step back and rethink.

Stock engine.

Rebuilt carb to spec. Fuel pump puts plenty of gas into carb, fuel filters new. Choke level set correctly. FRESH gas, all old gas removed.

Here's the dilemma. Starts instantly with full choke, I'll then quickly drop to 1/2 choke. Runs good, no missing, steady rpms. After a few minutes of warm up, when I try to drop off the choke, the engine intantly dies. Will restart right away, but always does the same thing with the choke. Will rev up, no missing at higher rpms, seems good there.

I didn't check for air leaks around base, but new gasket installed. Will try spraying around base tomorrow. Didn't seem where I set the idle mixture needle made much of a difference.

I did not have the air cleaner on, nor the vacuum lines hooked up to it. Truck does not have governor, early model.

Any ideas?

Scott

Vacuum lines not hooked up could very well be the problem. If it runs good with 1/2 choke and not good with no choke it's probably a vacuumn problem.
    DaveJ

A similar problem was discussed by Mikel recently. http://www.m715zone.com/vb/showthrea...014#post131014

As I mentioned to him, I had this same problem and it turned out to be to small of a main metering jet in the carb. Holley jet numbers around 69 or 70 seem to work for some members here.

Robert

I'll hook up everything and try it again. I did drive it today, boy it runs good, just with the half choke. I have to pull the carb again to replace the washer gasket on the inlet due to a small leak. I'll check the main jet.

Thanks for the help.

Scott