Thread: Wire Rope

Default Wire Rope

I saw this link on another site and thought it would be appreciated here.

http://www.inventionfactory.com/hist...re/handle.html
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Good link, worth a look. You should see Barry when people try to coil or uncoil one of his air hoses LOL I had to remind him that I coil and uncoil a 100' pressure wash hose about a million times a day and I'm aware of the kink and how to avoid it LOL

Good times!

We use this as a reference in our fleet:

http://catalog.thecrosbygroup.com/ Crosby, Van Beest and Campbell are the only riggging hardware that is traceable by the manufacturer. They can tell you the lot number of the raw steel, and the name of the guy that was running the forge when the unit was made.

I see where Quadratech is selling Crosby hardware in their catalog. I guess those "made in China" shackles didn't do the job.

Our primary wire rope supplier is Southwest. They have an engineer who decided to do some independent research on Chinese made shackles.

The pins and bows of the Chinese shackles are shipped in separate crates. The engineer bought a case of each (100 units) Ten percent of them wouldn't even THREAD UP! I guess it's hard to do quality control when you have political prisoners working the forging machines.

Think about that the next time you have a critical lifting or rigging job to do.
    Last edited by twodogs; January 1st, 2007 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typo

Great link Barrman and great link Twodogs. We teach lifting and moving as well as heavy rigging and crane ops where I work. We only use Crosby hardware, and all of our slings and rigging are tagged and inspected regularly as well as pre-use.

Safety is so important, and is often overlooked by someone in a hurry to get the job done. I know I've been guilty of using all kinds of inadequate rigging for winching operations in the past. I like to think I'm a lot smarter now, I'm at least a lot more aware of the catastrophic consequences of bad judgement and poor preparation in this area. It never occurred to me that a winch line, comealong, etc. could kill me but I'm a believer now. This is no place to cut corners either in setup time or with the proper gear.