Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater Hookup?

Default Heater Hookup?

I just got a 24-volt heater for my truck. Dose anyone have a diagram / Know where the hose connects up to the engine, and then to the heater, and from the heater back to the motor. I see a plug on the back of the water pump, but I can’t find another plug anywhere. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks, Captain Jack

The stock setup uses a J shaped metal pipe to mount the hose to the heater...the long part of the J is threaded and screws into the head on the exhaust side between #5 and #6 cylinders...there is a square headed plug screwed in that location normally.

The return goes to the small hose connection on the passenger side of the water pump.

If you look on this page:
    http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=20chap3-6

FIGURE 33-F4 show the J pipe out of the head with the hose to the heater.

Default Heater Hookup

Thanks man, You rock!

I might have another of the J pipes out in the shop...if you need one, let me know and I'll look for it.

Default J Pipe

The J pipe is exactly what I need. How much do you want for it? What would shipping be to NC 27816? Do you take PayPal, or what kind of payment? Thanks, Nate

Let me look and see if I have it....I'll let ya know.

The civilian 230's just had a straight pipe going into the head. I am not trying to ruin a parts sale here. Just pointing out that a 6" piece of regular pipe will work just as well.

But, whatever you do. Do not just screw a hose nipple into the head like I did.

"Do you smell something Dad?"
    "Yes I do, it smells like antifreeze. Lets pull over here before it gets dark and see if we can see where it is coming from."

Two hours later in the middle of nowhere with a trailer hooked up to the back and a big 4dr Cadillac on the trailer, I found what I didn't find the first time I smelled coolant. The hose had basically melted away from the heat sink of a hose clamp. I of course had cut that hose to just the right length because I didn't want to have it touching the exhaust manifold. So, I couldn't just cut off the end and reconnect. I had to cut the other heater hose and just loop the coolant back to the head. Which was a good thing since I really needed the extra 1/2 gallon or so of coolant in the heater core in the radiator. Did I mention it was cold and dark out?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    The civilian 230's just had a straight pipe going into the head. I am not trying to ruin a parts sale here. Just pointing out that a 6" piece of regular pipe will work just as well.
    What size pipe? Standard pipe threads?

But, whatever you do. Do not just screw a hose nipple into the head like I did.
    A "hose nipple?" What do you mean?
    -- Tim Taylor

Yes standard pipe thread in the head maybe 1/2 i think. A hose nipple is like this:

One this short wont get the hose away from the exh manifold enough to prevent the hose burning.

They can be found longer to get hose away from manifold enough, and yes for some reason the civ. trucks always used a straight pipe at the head instead of the curved one the military kits supplied.
    Last edited by Binford; December 30th, 2007 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Fixed pic link and combined the two posts
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Did I mention it was cold and dark out?
    Does anything ever break on a sunny 60 degree day in front of a parts store?