Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New wiring harness

Barrman, which wire did you drop from the 4 wire ignition switch to use the flame assist? I am going the M35 route for the M715 wiring.

I am a bit bummed that the NOS m715 wiring was not such as advertised. But, I game for a challenge. It looks like I will unwrap the loom and reposition some of the wires since some items alternator etc are in different locations. I have a SBC 12 & volt conversion

UGH. We did that conversion on the M715 for Pistolnut years ago. I did the harness on the M35 gasser 10 years ago. Just this morning I had my students installing the stock wiring harness on the M715 for Sermis. I have been thinking light numbers, not engine related numbers.

However, I am pretty sure the flame heater wire is what we hooked to the distributor since it is already part of the under hood loom.

Under the dash I am pretty sure we took the M35A2 starter button wire which is hooked into the 4 wire switch and then connected that to the flame heater wire.

Again, I am almost halfway through removing all the wires on my M35A2 to put in a new harness but haven't touched it in a few months. I will be very fresh on all the numbers again once it warms up a bit.

Sorry I am more vague than exact on this. I do remember it was a wire right there at the on/off switch that had no use outside of a M35A2 that I got power from and the flame heater wire was right there on the engine with the oil and temp connectors so I just connected them.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

That's what I did too. I need a steady 12 volt feed to my ballast resistor when the switch was in the on position.

Quote Originally Posted by TXfirefighter View Post
    I am getting to the point it will soon be time to start wiring the old truck. The original harness is in sad shape so I am looking for a replacement.
    I have sent a request in to Painless wiring but have not heard back yet.

Do you guys have suggestions of where else to look for a replacement harness? OR, where NOT to look?
    I am trying to keep as much of the military switching and lighting as possible.
    Putting a Ford 300 straight 6 in it with a ZF 5 spd behind that and a divorced NP205 so wiring for the drivetrain is not going to be hard.
    I see you are putting a 300 six and ZF-5 speed in. Have finished and yet and how do you like? I'm seriously considering it for mine.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 78FordF150 View Post
    I see you are putting a 300 six and ZF-5 speed in. Have finished and yet and how do you like? I'm seriously considering it for mine.

Not done yet. Life and work have slowed the project and, we just built a 40 X 40 shop. So I've been moving from the rental location to the 1 we own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Keep us posted when you get it finished.

Quote Originally Posted by 78FordF150 View Post
    Keep us posted when you get it finished.

See my build thread in the General discussion area...
    Now that the shop is finished and I got moved in, I've been able to work on it more than I have in over a year!!!

I just used the M35A2 wiring diagram to make it all work. I used Wire 74A and 74 for the starter foot switch and made a jumper where is should hook into the fuel pressure switch. I ran my electric fan, lighter, and ballast resistor off the #27 junction and others that had power when the ignition switch was on. It just took some consternation of looking at the diagram.

I'm going to use the Power Plus 20 wiring harness from American Autowire.
    It's got what is needed and I can add wires for the Blackout lights. It should be easy to adapt to the military 3 lever headlight switch and 715 turn signal switch so, wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by TXfirefighter View Post
    I'm going to use the Power Plus 20 wiring harness from American Autowire.
    It's got what is needed and I can add wires for the Blackout lights. It should be easy to adapt to the military 3 lever headlight switch and 715 turn signal switch so, wish me luck!
    My intention as well
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205