Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Brake Thread

Default Another Brake Thread

Hello All,

I'm a new M715 owner and have started to get the track back into working order. One of the first things is the brakes.

I have the drums off and the drums and shoes look like new, so I plan on leaving those. After reading many threads on this forum, I found some wheel cylinder part numbers from what I believe was an E350 van, so I plan on getting those.

My question is with regards to the master cylinder, I've seen in many places that a FSJ will bolt on, but there are many different MCs out there for a FSJ. Can someone help me narrow this down? On one thread on this forum, I saw a part number for a MC but I don't know what vehicle it was for.

What FSJ year/model can I reference when ordering a MC? Anything else I need to consider?

Also, who has added power brakes and what MC booster were you using to accomplish this? I've been reading that certain combo's can be bolt on.

Thanks in advance!

Glad you made it over here to the dark side.

Non power applications for the most part bolt directly to the firewall. Vacuum booster applications have a nifty little wedge shaped thing Jeep used to bolt to the firewall. It tilted the master cylinder up and away from the carburetor. Be on the look out for them as you are trying to line things up.

I am sure one of the people that have done this swap recently will chime in on your exact question.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Look for kaisermans thread ( I think) I used those wheel cylinders and they worked well...I might have had to adapt at the front, but I need new flexlines anyway...
    Is that real money?

Thanks, Barrman and Ray. I guess I'll be spending most of my time here from now on.

I found the thread I was looking for on here so I went ahead and ordered the MC today. I'll keep exploring options to add power brakes but for now I'm going to move forward with the non-power option.

Here's the info from a thread titled "Dual Master Help".

Date: Wed Jun 23, 1999 11:02am
    Subject: Master Cylinder Data
    Source of master cylinder part number: Wagner, Alabama Plant product
    engineering.
    Master Cylinder: Wagner #F66857
    Same unit by other manufacturers: Raybestos #36246, A1 Cardone #A-1-10-1331.
    At fire wall: bolts right on, no modifications necessary, use stock brake pedal and push rod.
    Outlets are threaded for 1/2-20 and 9/16-18.
    Steel nuts for 1/4" brake line are Edelmann #121045 and Edelmann #121049. You will need a double flare tool to make up 1/4" brake lines for them. In the front brake circuit don't terminate 3/16" line at the master cylinder, the brass flair cone is too big. Use 1/4" line and convert to 3/16" line down at the tee fitting you'll need to install down at the frame where the two front lines are near each other.
    The primary circuit is the rear brake circuit.
    The secondary circuit, nearest firewall, is the front brake circuit. A proportioning valve isn't necessary.
    You have several options from here, but you MUST split the lines between front and rear. I replaced all the lines with 1/4", removed the hydraulic brake switch and installed a mechanical switch at the brake pedal (JB welded a limit switch on the steering column directly between it and the brake pedal, a standard cylinder type brake switch can be installed on the existing braket). The wiring from the old switch will reach these locations. The tee located at the left front wheel flex hose connection will need to be changed to one with 1/4" connections.
    If you choose to keep the 3/16" brake lines and the hydraulic brake switch: Put the brake switch in the rear brake circuit. Put plugs in the two outlets that went to the front circuit.
    CAUTION: If you can't position the hydraulic switch in a manner that will not trap air in the plugged section or the switch section, don't use it. If you want to use DOT 5 brake fluid, be sure to get a new brake switch to avoid the possibility of melting the seals.
    If you want to use DOT 5 brake fluid, be sure to get new flex hoses, 2 on front, one at rear
    axle.

I started out wanting power brakes, but there just isn't enough room for it with the tornado engine intake.

So I stuck manual brakes using a dual circuit Dorman M56193.
    It is a direct fit to the M715, and has a 1" bore. It was used in 60's- 70's AMC and Jeep vehicles.
    Pedal feel is good, and stops fine.
    The ports are on the wrong side compared to the original single master cylinder, but not really a big deal.

Thanks, jeepdan. I ended up sticking with the 66857 MC from Napa, it has a 1-1/8" bore. I wont know how the brakes actually work for a while as I still have a lot of work to do.

I can tell from your picture that your truck went through a very thorough restoration. Do you have other pictures on the forum somewhere?

Thanks again!

You will be just fine with the M66857 as others have used.
    Having a 1 1/8" , your foot will need to a apply a little more pressure compared to the one that I used, but probably not much.

Thanks, my truck did go through a very thorough restoration, and I love to showing it off through pictures.

Photobucket ruined my restoration thread, and I haven't had time to redo it with Imgur yet. Soon I hope.

Keep the questions coming.

Jeepdan,
    Hold on before redoing your pics like that...we have a member right now testing a new process here at the site and then, if successful, we will be able to host your pics here and use them in posts...then they should be here forever!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Jeepdan,
    Hold on before redoing your pics like that...we have a member right now testing a new process here at the site and then, if successful, we will be able to host your pics here and use them in posts...then they should be here forever!!
    Cool! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Jeepdan,
    That sounds awesome Jon!!
    1969 M725 ambulance