Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: CPO Dave's restoration thread. (Ser#14690)

Default Uh-oh......

Ruh-Roh Raggy...... Houston we have a problem.... the wire wheel on the business end of my shipyard days Milwaukee angle grinder found me a problem child today. Driver's side rocker panel is Swiss Cheese. No problem. Just a minor set back. Already ran to the phone and ordered one from the good folk at VPW.

Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

Keep the picks coming Dave!
    Zone holster maker

Great job as usual. Your truck should one day be in a museum!

Default Cab FINALLY ready for soda blast and paint now!

Newport News, Va. 17 Feb. 2015. -

Well, winter sucks absolutes here in Virginia this year. Work on "War Pig" came to a crawl again for awhile but we managed to get all the rusted metal replaced. The replacement rocker panels I purchased were no where near "genuine replacement" as advertised so a lot of rebending and much caressing had to happen. I'm lucky enough that my next door neighbor has access to a nice commercial box pan and brake. We also replaced the terrible pre-existing slave cable hole mount on the right side cab post and then redrilled a new mount in. Couple of new pictures of the progress.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Best wishes as always!

Dave- (W4CPO)

Wow! I wish I had your mad skills! I am but a mere hack in comparison.
    Zone holster maker

And I have seen k8icu's work in pics...I am a poor hack next to him....

Nice work...keep it up!!!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Hey Dave , I see your really diggn' into this project. I heard you mention your days working in the shipyards. That explains the trade skills . I'm a Boliermaker myself.Here's hoping I can afford to start one of these trucks and get to work as well. Some great workmanship here. Hope I can follow your example. Very educational .I'll be following this thread. Kind Regards MK

Dave, you don't know who made those rocker panels, do you? Heard goodmark was making them and wonder how the quality is.

Duane. I don't remember who made them but I bought them through VPW. Good quality steel that matches the exact thickness of the OEM metal. It's not treated with anti rust protectant so that hassle of removing the goop was non-existent.

They aren't a 100% match fit out of the box. You will have to do some caressing but they work great and look beautiful!

I didn't install the entire panels. I just used them as donor material and cut out what I needed and used it as patch panels to replace the swiss cheese stuff.

Dave-

MK- (53hydraglide),

I didn't spend my entire adult working days in the Shipyards. I did 24 long years in the US Navy as a Engine Room Hole Snipe and Flight Deck Supervisor as a Electrician. I retired as a Chief Petty Officer (E-7). It's kinda where I learned how to do a lot of different stuff. If we couldn't get a replacement part, we just made one and beat on it to make it work. The Shipyard days was a 4 year experience in trying to destroy what little was left of my body and I had to give it up. Loved the work but couldn't keep up with the young kids any longer. Now, I have a easy life as a Engineering Operator in a data center for a World wide banking company.

Thank you for the kind words Sir!

Dave-