Thread: T98 transmission input shaft

Default T98 transmission input shaft

My name is Kevin. I purchased my first military vehicle, a 1968 M715. The engine had been replaced by the previous owner with an AMC 360. Using the original transmission a T98 the bell housing and everything that needed changing, was. An input shaft of 14-1/8 inches was installed in the transmission. The other input shaft (10-1/4 inches) was too short. Now my problems start. The transmission went out. I purchased another T98 trans with a 10-1/4 input shaft. Finding a 14-1/8 inch input shaft to install in the T98 transmission has been an adventure to say the least! HELP!

What's wrong with the input shaft in your old transmission?

Welcome.

The input shaft is connected to first gear, and first gear is torn up.

Perhaps you can use one from a V8 T18A, from a FSJ.

I know there are a ton of different shaft lengths for the T98...from like 6.5 to 16 inches if I remember correctly...the one we use is pretty much just for the M715 I have been told...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

At that point, why not find a modern OD transmission instead?

If it is to go behind the 230, there is no bellhousing to mount anything else to it...would have to make your own somehow...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!