Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving "empty" ride quality - Rear Leafs

Default Improving "empty" ride quality - Rear Leafs

Alright guys...

Just getting my axle/engine swapped rig on the road. The front axle/leaf springs seem to do great over bumps... soley for the fact that my powertrain is probably 500+ lbs heavier of what the original 230 tornado weighed. So the truck in front rides nice. But wow... the back. (and ouch, my back). How many guys have removed rear leaf springs seeking ride improvement? If so, how many did you pull, which ones, and what was your resulting quality improvement. I will oil and bag/tag the removed leafs, but I built this entire rig to have somewhat street manners. It stops on a dime effortlessly (4 wheel disc, hydro-boosted), and it steers with one finger in a parking lot easily. The last check-mark I have left is negating just "some" of the empty dump truck feel.

So what say you zone... Is it worth it? (Note I don't need/have too, I already am smiling ear to ear after 4 years of restoration... but I no long term I need to tame it down in order to drink coffee while driving to work etc.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Mastercraft suspension seats really improved the ride quality for me.

Or get a custom set of springs made from deaver or Alcan that have more leaves but same load carrying rating. More leaves makes it ride smoother.

Spray your leafs with Fluidfilm. It will keep them from rusting and will improve your ride noticeably.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    Spray your leafs with Fluidfilm. It will keep them from rusting and will improve your ride noticeably.
    They already have a brushed paint surface of graphite slip paint.

I'm thinking leaves are coming out... and if need be whenever (if ever) I use the M715 for load carrying capabiltiy I can always air-bag it quickly. (Very easy for me to do/integrate)

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    They already have a brushed paint surface of graphite slip paint.

I'm thinking leaves are coming out... and if need be whenever (if ever) I use the M715 for load carrying capabiltiy I can always air-bag it quickly. (Very easy for me to do/integrate)

Air bags seem like a good way to have your cake and eat it.

I got airbags on my F250 and they don't change the empty ride just level out the truck when fully loaded.

And I don't think removing leaves will work very well since you don't have many leaves to work with as it is.

The best ride quality I had on the M715 was with 2000 lb pallet of corn in the bed.

I know people have posted that they removed 2 leaves from the rear to smooth the ride...I believe it was the next to the shortest and then skip the next slightly longer one and then the next one...
    So if the very shortest is #1, remove 2 and 4.
    Hope that makes sense...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    I know people have posted that they removed 2 leaves from the rear to smooth the ride...I believe it was the next to the shortest and then skip the next slightly longer one and then the next one...
    So if the very shortest is #1, remove 2 and 4.
    Hope that makes sense...
    But if you do that, you won't get the bone jarring jolt when you drop down off of a curb .

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    But if you do that, you won't get the bone jarring jolt when you drop down off of a curb .
    My 2nd ride around the block I hit a blacktop joint where a culvert goes underneath between farm fields...

I was surprised the fillings and crown in my mouth were still in-tact.

All said and done.. I could "live it with" but I do enjoy my coffee on the way to work... vs. wearing it.