Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid Plate Steel Wheels

Default Solid Plate Steel Wheels

How many fellow members have solid plate steel wheel centers in their custom made wheels? I am wondering as there seems to be some concern about how or if they can be balanced? There are at least two manufacturer's of solid center wheels and I am considering buying a set. Just was wondering how your solid center steel plate wheels do going down the road and how or if they balanced. All information appreciated. Thanks Guys Fisherman

I have them on my truck Fisherman, and didn't have any trouble getting them balanced. One wheel did take 14 oz. to balance out, but the 39.5 Iroks might have somthing to do with it too. Anyway, I am very happy with the rims and the tires, they roll very nice down the road.

I have them as well. Absolutely no problems at all. Very happy with them.

I ran than on mine before I disassembled. It had 37" SSR's that I did not try to balance. Never had a problem, never had a wobble or wear issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DocKill View Post
    I have them as well. Absolutely no problems at all. Very happy with them.
    Yeah. What he said. MRT's with 35 inch Yokohamas. Smooth.

todd,
    i ,am not tryin to sell you wheels but what i told you about solid center wheels is true. and if the center isnt 1/2" thick it will oil can on you.
    just my o2.
    bob

I thought the issue was balance???? You know canoe's oilcan too.

Are you guys talking about Bill and Adam AGAIN!?

Not sure about Bill and Adam Gimp. Seems to me there have been nothing but good posts about solid center steel wheels Bob.

The only solid center wheels I know of that had any problems where with guys that had 40+" tires, at least hydro assist steering (usually full hydro), and are running half the time laying on, or darn near on their sides doing the crazy rock crawling fun stuff.
    Even then they don't get bent too bad, but the thinner solid centers can get bent when doing these kinds of things.

Most of the trucks that are on this forum will never experience what these other guys are doing. So I wouldn't really overly worry about it.

One hint if you are worried about it, when you get your rims, and before you get the tires on them, have the tire shop spin them on the balance machine. You will be able to see how 'true' the rim shell is, and also be able to see if the rim is out of balance.
    The outer lip can be a little off, but the inner lip and mainly the bead surface should be pretty much perfect. Runout is a small number for these, and is almost hard to see with the 'nekid eye'.