Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made trans adapter

Default Home made trans adapter

Who was it that posted about making the trans adapter? Jed maybe? What issues were there with input shaft, etc? Thanks, Bill

A guy down in Bee Branch, Arkansas made a couple for his trucks to go from the T98 to a Chevy 350-8 and a Ford 300-6. What he made was a plate that bolted to the back of the bellhousing for the new motor and a plate that bolted to the front of the trans...then he measured what length was left to fill and welded a piece of pipe between of about 4 inch diameter.

Not really that hard...wish I had gotten a pic...

.008 runout is max. otherwise it will kill bearings and clutch discs.

Also need to mount a front bearing retainer to the front of the adapter for the throwout bearing, and make sure it is centered on the adapter to line up with the bell housing. Not a real difficult project, but precision certainly counts.

to make this correctly is alot more complicated than you think. if its made wrong it will cost you a bunch of money , parts & labor.
    bob

It's not rocket science though. Proceed VERY CAREFULLY!!! but do not be afraid.

There are a ton of guys running homebrew adapters here: t-case, tranny, what have you. None of them are rocket scientists. Well, one guy actually IS-- works at Thiokol, but he's the only one.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Thanks for the info

Here's what my adapter looks like...Just like Brute described

Sae basic idea...instead of a round piece bridging the 2 plates yours is square...no big diff.

No machining for a front bearing retainer to the front of the adapter for the throwout bearing...nothing on the inside to make...just what you see on the outside and hollow inside.

Kaching!!! That's the pic I was looking for. Any problem with the runout like Bob was mentioning? I could have it surface milled at work after welding if that were a big issue.