Thread: grantshire : Tire question

Default grantshire : Tire question

Tire question
    Post by grantshire on Jul 7, 2006, 1:18pm

I see new or used military tires for sale on ebay:

New GOODYEAR WRANGLER R/T MILITARY OZ 36X12.50-16.5 LT for around $250 for a set of 4.

4 GoodYear / Wrangler MT Military OZ (Radial) 37x12.50-16.50LT with 75-85% tread

Humvee 36"x12.5"x16.5" goodyear rt II's with the very sought after double beadlock rims, and a set of magnesium runflats with a buy it now price of $180

I have also seen reference to some of you suing 37" or 38" xls tires (a more all terrain tire). I would like to use the xls type tire on my M715 and would prefer 37" or 38" (although the $250 price for 4 new OZ with a local pick up is hard to pass up). How available are the all terrains? Also, how much should I expect to pay?

Bear in mind my M715 is getting ready to have modern 8 lug Dana 60 axles.

Default elwenil :

Re: Tire question
    Post by elwenil on Jul 7, 2006, 1:43pm

The XLs are not what I would consider an all terrain tire, they are pretty aggressive. They are 38" typically with good tread. Check the For Sale section as BigWheelBob is selling a few sets. I have 6 XLs and while I haven't run them yet, I love the look of a 715 with them mounted. The HMMWV tires sound like a good deal but then you have to figure in the price of custom rims, or the price of obtaining other rims and then having 715 centers put in them. Also a the HMMWV tires are both bias ply and radial so you need to make sure of what you are getting since there are a lot of both on the market these days.

EDIT: didn't catch the bit about the modern axles the first time through. Still need to check on the backspacing on the HMMWV rims as it is extreme.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jul 7, 2006, 1:45pm

That buy it now price for a full set of Hummer beadlocks AND tires is awesome. We're all going to snipe you now LOL.

I wouldn't sue tires, they have better lawyers... HAR! HAR!

XL's are more of a mud tire than the Goodyears... so I'm not sure quite what you want to know !!!

THe backspacing on Hummer rims is pretty deep, not sure how that will work on normal axles. Lot of guys here are running dually hubs w/them to keep everything lined up right.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Jul 7, 2006, 2:06pm

The xl tires are available from members here at great prices. Also if you want to use the rims from the auction with an xl tire your prolly s.o.l. If I read your post correctly they are a 16.5" rim. The xl is a 16".

Default grantshire :

Post by grantshire on Jul 7, 2006, 2:30pm

I am in Richmond, Virginia so the Virginia tires are easy for me to pick up (no shipping or gas $$ ). Here is their discription:

"TIRE DESCRIPTION": GOODYEAR WRANGLER R/T MILITARY OZ 36X12.50-16.5 LT, LOAD RANGE: C, MAXIMUM LOAD: 2,850 LBS, MAXIMUM PRESSURE: 30 PSI, TREAD: 6 PLIES NYLON SIDEWALL: 4 PLIES NYLON

With a 30 psi maximum pressure these must be bias tires and not radials.

Sorry if my question is confusing. With "new" axles I will need "new" rims and tires. My axles will be 8 lug J20 bolt pattern. From a rim standpoint, I can go military, civilain, 16" 16.5" or what ever. New, non military tires in 37-40" can run $350 a piece. If I can find a military tire with 75% tread or more (mine won't see much mileage) at a great price I will be all over them. I don't really want the aggregive tread - a 38x12.50 BFG AT KO would be perfect; but they don't make them that tall.

I have not seen any of the xls military tires for sale but I read one of you guys are running them. If my choice is an aggressive xl for around $300 or paving $300 a piece for new tires I'll just have to get used to the noise of the xl.

I really would like something taller than 36" though...

Default sermis :

Post by sermis on Jul 7, 2006, 3:14pm

The 36" are most likely an 8 bolt rim and the 37? a 10 or 12 bolt, don?t remember for sure. My 37? had a rubber bead lock run flat. I was going to cut the run flat off and just keep the bead lock. The magnesium can?t be cut and if you use it as a run flat it will kill your tire.

Default sermis :

Post by sermis on Jul 7, 2006, 3:19pm

I am running the 11.00 16 XML Michelins. Love the look, 38? and they work really good. Just paid way too much.
    I am working on HUMMER wheels and changing the centers. More options when I need tires again.
    Make sure on the back spacing of the HUMMER rims, even changing the axels they might not work.