Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: alosix : Tieing these things down on a trailer

Default asbestosglove :

Re: Tieing these things down on a trailer
    Post by asbestosglove on Aug 2, 2006, 9:33pm

I hang a big clevis thru each of the shackels front and rear. Single chain on front pulling down & forward, single on rear pulling down and backward. Use racheting binders (understand now required for interstate). No reason not to have them now as they are available at harbor freight for $17. Tractor Supply, a regional chain, sells the same binder for $49. Side by side they are identical. AG in NC

Default fredrader :

Post by fredrader on Aug 2, 2006, 9:43pm

Here is how I haul mine..Click on pic.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Aug 3, 2006, 7:14am

Fred's method is pretty much the way we haul every 4WD truck from Fords, Dodges, GMs, Unimogs, etc. Works great. I would be cautious about tying one down across the frame behind the cab. It would be ok to do this to limit suspension travel and sway, but I wouldn't cinch it down tight. I've seen a few trucks with cracked frames from doing this.

Default fredrader :

Post by fredrader on Aug 3, 2006, 10:58am

I don't think my 715 has any suspension travel Unless I let a lot of air out of the tires..LOL It rides like the perverbial "LOG Wagon"..

Default fsjguy :

Post by fsjguy on Aug 3, 2006, 1:05pm

Looks like Fred's got it right. X's on front and rear. That's how I've seen the military tie down loads on flatbeds. And they know what they're doing, right? Just cuz I'm paranoid, I'd also recommend a safety chain wrapped around the front axle and hooked onto the rear of the trailer. That way, if something comes loose, it won't end up running into the tow vehicle.

That said, I hauled my truck home with just two fabric rachet straps (big ones). I won't do THAT again! One of em almost wore all the way through. I threw it out. It was ruined.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 3, 2006, 1:39pm

SO IF ONE CHAIN FAILS IT WILL MOVE RIGHT ? YOU KNOW DOT HAS RULES PERTAINNING TO CHAINNING DOWN THINGS RIGHT ? IF YOU X CHAIN IT THEN YOU CAN HAVE 2 OF THEM FAIL AND STILL BE SECURED. I TRUCKED OVER THE ROAD FOR 22+ YRS . CHAINED AND UNCHAINED EVERY DAY OF IT. ALSO YOU SHOULD NEVER CHAIN TO BODY POINTS AS THE SPRINGS HAVE FLEX NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU PULL IT DOWN. GO TO THE AXLES AND I AIR DOWN THE TIRES SOME TOO. REMEMBER IF IT WAS YOUR FAMILY RIDING NEXT TO YOU AND THE M725 WAS TRAILERED ON THE ROAD NEXT TO YOU AND IT BLEW 2 TIRES, THEN WHAT ? WOULDNT YOU WANT IT TO BE CHAINED EXTRA GOOD ? YOU ONLY HURT SOMEBODY ONCE AND IT WILL FOLLOW YOU THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. YOU CAN CHAIN ONE DOWN EXTRA GOOD IN 15 MINUTES. EVERY STATE TROOPER IS DOT QUALIFIED NOT TO MENTION MOTOR VEHICLE ENFORCEMENT GUYS. THEY CAN JUST PASS YOU AND SEE IF YOUR SECURED PROPERLY. AFTER YOU PAY THE FINE THEN YOU,LL CHAIN IT RIGHT. ALSO YOU DO KNOW THAT YOU NEED G70 TRANSPORT CHAIN TO BE LEGAL ON ALL PUBLIC ROADS RIGHT ? ITS STAMPED RIGHT IN EVERY OTHER LINK IN THE CHAIN G70 . NO G70 ITS CONSIDERED TO NOT EVEN BE CHAINED.
    BOB

Default fredrader :

Post by fredrader on Aug 3, 2006, 2:04pm

Well bob,I am an over the road truck driver and hauled local heavy equipment for 12 yrs before starting to drive flat bed where I am now 11yrs ago..I know the laws and when hauling an automobile you don't even need 1 chain to be legal..You can use straps on all 4 wheels and be fine acording to the DOT..I never use straps on the rear just in case I hit something so I feel safer..But you can look it up..Every state has it's own laws..I have run flatbed in most of em..

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 3, 2006, 8:25pm

ALL HE SAID HE HAD WAS CHAINS. ALL LOADS MUST BE SECURED TO THERE SPECS FOR YOU TO BE LEGAL.

Default fredrader :

Post by fredrader on Aug 3, 2006, 8:36pm

I like your 2 chains crossed on the front and 2 chains crossed in the rear..It should be legal anywhere and safer than straps..I just use straps on the front so I don't have to mess with my chain binders..You can never be too safe

Default twodogs :

Post by twodogs on Aug 4, 2006, 9:28am

I agree, chains. Good chains. not that "made in China" crap.
    Diagonal rigging is stronger. Cross the chains. Go on the axles. If it wiggles to much, go on the frame.

I was reviewing and updating our rigging textbook here at work today and came up with some valid pernts:

Lever type chain binders give a 25:1 mechanical advantage.
    Ratcheting chain binders give a 50:1 mechanical advantage. (wow!) So a regulation size 200 pound troop can exert 10,000 lbs. of force on a chain. (again, wow!)
    Secure lever binder handles with rope to prevent premature release of the load.
    DO NOT use a "cheater pipe" to secure or release binders.
    To safely release a lever binder, tie a rope to the handle and pull from a safe distance. (This is the same rope you tied it shut with)
    Tie-down chains with binders on them contain huge amounts of stored energy. Treat them with due respect.

I use nylon straps for cargo and maybe the occasional lawn tractor or rice rocket. A friend regularly transports his 8-N Ford tractor to and from jobs on a low-boy. Chains, binders, all diagonal. He checks it frequently and also runs a redundant chain in case one or more does let go. Never lost the tractor yet.

Good luck fetching the meat wagon.