Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another small block chevy question

Default another small block chevy question

ok
    I have a distributer question.
    robbed the sbc from an 84 1/2 ton it has an old style dist. only there are 4 extra wires leaving the base of the dist. they go to the puter mounted behind the glove box.
    I have been told by 2 buddies that it will not work ,that I need to find an older dist to take its place.
    another says that it will run the engine if i simply leave the wire harness unplugged that the extra wires are hooked to and run my 12volt to the wire on top of dist marked batt.
    any takers?
    any help is appreciated since I want to have the engine ready to run before I tear out the 230
    Last edited by da mule; September 10th, 2007 at 05:36 PM.

not sure exactly what you have, but if you swap in an HEI, it'll run with just one +12V wire. You can get them pretty cheap too. I would invest in a decent HEI rather than trying to piece together some computer-junk...

SBC+HEI, been working for YEARS and there are 1000's of them out there, get one from aftermarket or head to the boneyard.

84 is still the HEI distributor, isn't it? Coil in the top of the cap?

Coincidently my SBC is an 84. I'm running a Hei and no fuel injection. It ever clears the firewall by about 1 inch.

The wires are for the electronic spark control. Very easily swapped out with the older style pickup unit for about 15 bucks if I remember correctly. Also, you can cross wire A with wire C or wire B with wire D--Idon't remember exactly which but it's the first wire on one side with the third wire. Basically it's the hot wire going to the computer and then the modified signal coming back. Somehow related to the knock sensor. Surely someone with the correct terminology and exact description will post up but at any rate, you are an easy fix away from making it work.

splice a and c wires together and time like normal.

I take it that I tape off b and d wires they will not be used.
    one step closer to being ready to drop the chvy in and it will run when I do
    Check this out now
    buddy gave me a flywheel to fit a 84 small block,getting closer , lo and behold the inside diameter of the hole that slips on the crank is too big.
    so I go to the auto parts store,they pull an 84 flywheel and an 86 flywheel.
    turns out the 86 flywheel will mount up. anyone ran into this.seems I have an 86 crank in an 84 engine.just wanderin now if the 84 bell housing will work.

The difference in the flywheel is due to GM changing the rear oil seal from a two piece to a one piece design right around 85 or so. You prolly have a newer block or one with the same casting number from several years. The bell is the same.

U R not gonna believe this but.
    After talkin to my buddy this evening turns out he didnt know what year
    truck he has been ridin around in. The donar truck is in fact an 86 chevy with
    a 305.as they say even an alchoholic has a moment of clarity.
    so now my question is, the bell housing I have is of the manual type, it is alluminun,it will bolt up to the 86 chevy small block.will it work for this repower? being I dont know what year the bell housing is.
    I believe that it will work ,but when I go to the auto parts to get a new clutch disc ,pressure plate and throwout bearing.I am assuming I ask for one that will fit an86 manual tranny for a chevy.call me stupid but I just want to get this right the first time.
    If you are still reading any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm ready to stand corrected here, but a chevy BH, is a chevy BH. Don't think it really matters WHAT it is, it should the engine bolt pattern.

Can anybody help me confirm/deny that?