Thread: M715 no power

Default M715 no power

Hey guys,

I’ve been working in my m715 the last few years and recently I put a rebuilt carb, new plugs, cap, rotor and points on it. It ran great the first time out, then today when I drove it, it couldn’t make it up a small hill, no power while in gear. I can rev it up in neutral but it dies down when I put it in gear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Difficile ŕ dire comme ça.
    La principale cause d'une alimentation défectueuse provient généralement du réservoir.
    The offending.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsinnott79 View Post
    Hey guys,

I’ve been working in my m715 the last few years and recently I put a rebuilt carb, new plugs, cap, rotor and points on it. It ran great the first time out, then today when I drove it, it couldn’t make it up a small hill, no power while in gear. I can rev it up in neutral but it dies down when I put it in gear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    You might want to start looking at the fuel pump. A packed-off fuel pickup sock would do the same thing, but not overnight like you're experiencing.

You likely already did this, but here's the translation from French to English:

"Hard to say like that. The main cause of a faulty supply usually comes from the tank."

I think he is suggesting (by the photo) a clogged fuel line.

Did you check the fuel filter? Does the tank have rust in it..or maybe the inside coating of the tank has flaked off because the truck sat for a long time?

What carb do those stock 230s have...I think it's a Holly 1BBL. Has it been rebuilt? It may be time. I have seen the rebuild kits on eBay.

Engine problems are usually spark, fuel or timing. Usually*

sounds like not enough fuel.

you can check fuel pump capacity by running the line into an empty water bottle. it should fill a 16 oz bottle in just under 10 seconds.

to check if the tank is the problem, i plumb a 5 gal can into the fuel line where it crosses from the frame to the engine on the drivers side.

I think I’ve got it figured out, it had a vacuum leak, as well as the condenser had come lose and the points were out of spec. Seems to have fixed it, I’ll be sure to check the fuel pump as well.

Thanks for all the replys

Good to hear, thanks for the follow up.

Stay in touch!