Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: June 2004 JP Magazine 715 motor swap article

Teking,
    80K miles for an AMC V8? Yes, their oil pump design is not that great, but they can last for a long time. A friend of mine has a 75 Cherokee with a 360 with 220K miles, has probably changed the oil a few times in the last 29 years, and it still runs
    AMC blocks are rumored to have a high nickel content, which allows for very little wear.

Quote Originally Posted by teking
    Quote Originally Posted by FSJ_Guy
    Why do they go puttin' Chevy motors in where Jeep motors should go??? Sheesh.... Another reason not to like that rag.... Not trying to start a flame war, but I like my AMC *Jeep* motor quite well. <g>
    I have an FSJ with the AMC 360. So can only speak to the AMC 360.
    I just got rid of a Dodge w/ a Dodge 360. And had a old truck in high school with a dodge 360. In my humble opinion the AMC 360 is a pile-o-crap compared to the dodge. The AMC has to be rebuilt every 80K. This is a well know problem with them. I subscribe to a few FSJ boards and everyone will tell you the same thing. If you got an AMC 360 closing in on 80k you're lookin at a rebuild. My FSJ has close to 130k was rebuilt at (you guessed it) ... motor runs great for now, but takes constant attention.

that was the story i told you guys about, was submitted under a pen name. when i put some miles on it and finish the 24 to 12 conversion, i'll send you more info or we'll publish it.

otherwise, how do you guys like that issue of jp?

Blog Entries

Yep!! Oil pump is horrible!! I just rebuilt mine AGAIN about 10K ago. Didn't help much so I'm probably in for a new front motor plate. Why the hell they designed the oil pump housing as a integrated part of the front motor plate is beyond me.
    As for that 360 with 220K unrebuilt miles ... I'll bet you it hasn't been used much for towing has it?

BTW - Anyone know where I can get Grand Wagoneer rear window tracks for the tailgate?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel
    Teking,
    80K miles for an AMC V8? Yes, their oil pump design is not that great, but they can last for a long time. A friend of mine has a 75 Cherokee with a 360 with 220K miles, has probably changed the oil a few times in the last 29 years, and it still runs
    AMC blocks are rumored to have a high nickel content, which allows for very little wear.

Quote Originally Posted by teking
    Quote Originally Posted by FSJ_Guy
    Why do they go puttin' Chevy motors in where Jeep motors should go??? Sheesh.... Another reason not to like that rag.... Not trying to start a flame war, but I like my AMC *Jeep* motor quite well. <g>
    I have an FSJ with the AMC 360. So can only speak to the AMC 360.
    I just got rid of a Dodge w/ a Dodge 360. And had a old truck in high school with a dodge 360. In my humble opinion the AMC 360 is a pile-o-crap compared to the dodge. The AMC has to be rebuilt every 80K. This is a well know problem with them. I subscribe to a few FSJ boards and everyone will tell you the same thing. If you got an AMC 360 closing in on 80k you're lookin at a rebuild. My FSJ has close to 130k was rebuilt at (you guessed it) ... motor runs great for now, but takes constant attention.

Whyda......Good work on the Mag!!! but I'm partial to anything that shows a pic of a 715. Could you give permission to the zone to scan the article and make it available for future reference? after it becomes dated? with proper credit given?
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Whydah
    that was the story i told you guys about, was submitted under a pen name. when i put some miles on it and finish the 24 to 12 conversion, i'll send you more info or we'll publish it.

otherwise, how do you guys like that issue of jp?
    It was one of the better ones. I have yet to memorize the articles on waterproofing. I tend to like your mag more then any other as yours is about real-world stuff as opposed to most of the others that have big articles on adding some huge lift to some 2004 vehicle.

Mention to someone at sometime a whole issue that is nothing but reader's rides. Like a 1/2 page for each ride with a little info. Right now, when I see that it's a listing of Tough Truck rigs or maybe 5 regular guys rigs.

Just an idea.
    -B.

I for one loved the issue!!
    Read it twice from cover to cover and read parts more....something to do while Im sitting here like a lump in a chair....
    Thanks for the quality material!!
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c
    ....something to do while Im sitting here like a lump in a chair....
    Brute,
    Remember when Steven Hawking was looking for something to fill his time as he was in a wheelchair, and he worked on discovering the limits of the universe? That's you. Only instead of solving the mystery of space, you're just reading and re-reading 4wd mags.

Something to ponder.
    -B.

You mean the Unified Field Theory and his book, A Brief History of Time......
    I really get into astrophysics but I wouldnt want to sit on the Newtonian chair...
    Is a person who lives in a pond called a ponder??
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

You lost me.

-B.

I don't have my issue yet either.
    Still waiting