Thread: How To Lift a Tornado Engine?

Default How To Lift a Tornado Engine?

I have a tonado pulled sitting on a small pallet, on a generator trailer, it has all the accessories on it how is the best way of lifting it with a motor hoist? Can I use the two bolts sticking out of the valve cover? My M37 is easy it has a lifting ring right on the engine. I hate to wrap a strap around it I know some of the accessories will take a beating.
    THanks,
    James G.

Mine already had a lifting eye attached, can you fab one from some 1/8" steel and use the exhaust maniflod stud(s) to mount it with? Thats where mine was and worked like a champ.

I wouldn't use the tiny studs that are attached to the cam bearing bridges...

any good size bolt on the motor will work though. I think I used one exhaust stud and a head bolt or somethign to take mine out.

I just lifted a Tornado off of my trailer and onto an engine stand last weekend using an engine hoist. I used one chain to go from one motor mount to the other motor mount, and hooked the chain into my lift hook above in the center. This will take most of the weight, but the engine will not be balanced, there is a little bit more weight towards the flywheel end. So then I simply took another short chain and went from one of the intake stud up to my main lift hook, then down over to an exhaust stud. I was able to get it very close to level, and I lifted it just fine. This way, the intake and exhaust stud support very little of the weight, just help balance it. If you look at the motor mounts, they are very beefy and didn't move a bit when I lifted from them.

I don't know if you know, but this engine is HEAVY, lol. I couldn't beleive it. I would be very careful when attaching to anything else.

Imagine one falling down on you when the jackass scrap guy pushes your engine hoist over and then you get the exhaust studs sunk into your knee about an inch and a half.

They're heavy, and scrap guys are sometimes retarded.

Tacoma, are you talking from experience? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by rpgdeity View Post
    I just lifted a Tornado off of my trailer and onto an engine stand last weekend using an engine hoist. I used one chain to go from one motor mount to the other motor mount, and hooked the chain into my lift hook above in the center. This will take most of the weight, but the engine will not be balanced, there is a little bit more weight towards the flywheel end. So then I simply took another short chain and went from one of the intake stud up to my main lift hook, then down over to an exhaust stud. I was able to get it very close to level, and I lifted it just fine. This way, the intake and exhaust stud support very little of the weight, just help balance it. If you look at the motor mounts, they are very beefy and didn't move a bit when I lifted from them.

I don't know if you know, but this engine is HEAVY, lol. I couldn't beleive it. I would be very careful when attaching to anything else.
    RP:
    When you attached to the engine mounts how did you keep chain pressure off you intake and carb?

Sounds like it, Dave. Sounds like a cry baby too!

Default Got it Moved

Guys thanks for all the help, I used a 10K lifting strap under the oil pan running it toward the rear of the engine, it lifted almost level with no damage.
    James G.