Thread: Steering Column

Default Steering Column

Does anyone have information or can point me in the direction of information on how to take apart the steering column. I'm not talking about removal of the column, but actural taking it apart. Getting the inner pipe out of the outer pipe etc. Any information would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Zone holster maker

Joe,
    I have pulled 3 apart and basically the shaft comes out the bottom. Which means the column has to come out of the truck first. Be very careful with the little ring for the horn. They bend if you look at them wrong.

Disclaimer: I have not looked at the manual on this in years, so I could be telling you wrong info.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Tim,

Well we tried to pull the steering wheel off and ended up pulling the whole thing apart. Funny actually how it went. Now that I have it appart I can rebuild and use for what I want.

Thanks
    Zone holster maker

Quote Originally Posted by k8icu View Post
    Tim,

Well we tried to pull the steering wheel off and ended up pulling the whole thing apart. Funny actually how it went. Now that I have it appart I can rebuild and use for what I want.

Thanks
    Were you using a puller or just pulling up on the steering wheel? I recently pulled mine to replace the upper shaft. My trunnion joint was shot. Easier to replace the shaft with NOS.

What is it you need to do?

Don,

I'm using the column in a differnet project than an M715 so I was trying to get the steering wheel off and was just using a BFH to beat it off. This column is shot so depending on what I decide to do I will either rebuild it or I will use parts from it.

Joe
    Zone holster maker

Oh, I see now!!

Steering column Shaft question. I am rebuilding the Coupler where lower shaft and the upper shaft meet. I have a new coupler seal. Do I need to take upper shaft all the way out of 715? The seal will not go around the "t" ( bar which runs trough upper shaft) Does this bar come out of shaft? Or does upper shaft and column have to come out.
    Any pictures or good info would help. Thanks.

At the lower end of the column you are trying to put a new seal on the not a universal joint universal joint?

I had trouble getting that seal on as well. I ended up pulling the little square things off the shaft, sliding the seal up the shaft, putting the square things back on and then putting the seal over the coupler and finally the lock ring.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw