Thread: uneven wear in one brake shoe

Default uneven wear in one brake shoe

Well, I found out why I had a stuck rear wheel (see thread with drum screws). There was such uneven wear on the rearmost shoe, the top of the shoe was worn all the way thru the rivets almost to the metal backing, and the bottom looks like it was hardly touched. A piece of the lining from the top broke off and wedged itself on the lower end of the shoe, locking up the wheel.

Now for the thousand dollar question....

What would make a shoe wear in such a pattern? The opposite shoe is worn evenly, as is both shoes on passenger side rear. No rust inside the drum, nor is there any grease or brake fluid leaks. Nothing appears to be bent or missing.

Could this be just an improper set up when the shoes were installed? I would hate to intall new shoes and have the same thing happen.

Scott

Pull your wheel cylinder apart. I would imagine you will find that one piston (The one for the perfect looking shoe) is frozen solid in the bore. Most of us discovered that only 2 or 3 out of the 8 pistons on our trucks were working at most.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Most of us discovered that only 2 or 3 out of the 8 pistons on our trucks were working at most.
    Seems to be the norm for any M715 that's been parked a while. I had one wheel cylinder working out of the four. On the good side, I only had to buy 2 shoes.....the rest had not worked in years.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

So, I should be able to replace just the bad shoe and still be OK, with new wheel cylinders of course. Got the drums turned Friday, 18 bucks apiece. The man said they have plenty of life left in them. Got the two rear wheels balanced as well.

Scott

Of course you guys are always right. Had a stuck piston on opposite side of that bad shoe. You know, at least I'm not beating my head on the workbench all the time, I can just go online and with a few clicks on this site, somebody already went thru the same problems I am having. Love it.

Scott

Be glad you have lots of life left in those stock drums! You can just imagine what replacements would cost!
    -- Tim Taylor