Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Axles that can be swapped in place of the stock axles

Quote Originally Posted by Specalt View Post
    For any one that is interested, I just put a 2006 dodge ram 2500 rear axle in.

The dodge rear axle is direct bolt in. The leaf spring perches are however for a 3 inch leaf.

In addition the dodge axle is an AAM 11.5 with 3.73 (could also be 4.10) gears, disk breaks with parking break. A single break line to a spliter for both calipers. Wms to wms is 72 inches.

2003-2006 dodge uses the same axle.

I picked mine up a the junck yard for $250, I will have to do a gear swap, that is going to run any where from 300-500, so for thoes on a budget it is not a bad swap.
    if that axle fits then the Power Wagon axle might also. It however is a 10.5 with 4.56 gears and a electric locker. they are a little more expensive in the online junk yard search I did but might be worth it to somebody out there.

Good to know, thanks man!

Brickfist
    Brickfist
    67 M724 68 M715

Quote Originally Posted by Ronner View Post
    Hey Randy, I used the d60/14b from a CUCV and I just welded new perches and switched to disk brakes. Everything fit perfectly and with 4.5" bs the wheels look good.

Ok so I got a complete donor cucv.

I'm not exactly clear on how to put these under the m715. The brake backing plates are right in the way of where the stock m715 springs are.

You said you switched to disk brakes and welded new perches is that leaving the stock m715 springs in there stock outboard location?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It is fairly easy to mount a Chevy D60 front spring under.

On the 14 bolt, I would make sure the axle is wide enough to fit between the rear leaf springs.

Mikel

That's exactly the issue the 14 bolt rear with it in the stock outboard spring location the brake backing plates are right where the springs want to sit. Everyone keeps mentioning rear disc conversion bit what I cannot confirm is if that gains me the extra clearance I need to leave the 715 factory outboard springs

Pull one drum and see where the rotor/caliper would mount. Some 1 ton axles have super wide drums.

By the way, didn't Lee Alessi mount a CUCV 14 bolt in his truck after converting to disks?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    By the way, didn't Lee Alessi mount a CUCV 14 bolt in his truck after converting to disks?

Here's the response from offroad design on my issue with there kit

The backing plate is removed, then 3/4" of spacer goes on top of the
    flange on the axle and then the actual bracket goes on top of that.
    Honestly, if you can get the springs between the backing plates, discs
    should fit.

As far as Lee using cucv axles I'm not sure what's his user name?

Lee is long gone.

You'll just need to potentailly rotate the calipers below the springs... thats what I have to do with my 10.25 Sterling Rear axle