Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sparkles... in my transmission and transfer case case

Exclamation sparkles... in my transmission and transfer case case

For detailed vehicle background, see: new member thread.

Brief history: it's a 69, been in the fire service (and therefore garaged) since sometime in the 70s, and I recently purchased it at public auction, with 17.5K miles...

Last week I changed the engine and front axle fluids and today I decided to do the rear axle, transmission, and transfer case. Rear axle-- nothing unexpected. Transmission and transfer case, on the other hand, well, see for yourself:

I only got pictures of the transfer case sparkles, but the transmission was similar. My best guess is copper?? But, why would there be copper in my transfer case? Transmission I can see from synchros maybe, but... okay so I don't know that much about the innards of these things, but I didn't think it was good for this stuff to be in the fluid. There was nothing tangible in the oil-- it was smooth and felt good, but you couldn't miss the sparkles. My hope is that there's some obscure additive that someone would have put in that would make it look like this? I know I'm stretching it...

So, my questions are: 1) What do you think this stuff is, and 2) How bad do you think it is?

I'm curious if the "sparkles" are attracted by a magnet? Otherwise I can't remember any brass items in the transfer case. The cheapest approach is to flush and refill with gear oil and see how it looks after putting some miles on the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    I'm curious if the "sparkles" are attracted by a magnet? Otherwise I can't remember any brass items in the transfer case. The cheapest approach is to flush and refill with gear oil and see how it looks after putting some miles on the truck.
    Nope, they aren't. They were in both the transmission and transfer case, and the transmission drain plug has a magnet on it, which didn't attract any of the gold-colored flakes...

I plan to do exactly that, BTW-- drive it till it breaks. (and hope that it doesn't!)

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Probably having never been changed, or at least not for years, there was an over-accumulation of bronze from the synchronizer rings in the trans. The transfer has a couple of thrust washers that could account for the bronze/brass in there.

Were it me, I'd change out the fluid again in a few hundred miles, then see what it looks like after that. I suspect that if you have no odd noise and no odd shifting, it will be just fine.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Question

That's what I'm hoping for... the other fluids looked pretty good, though. Maybe they just missed the tranny and transfer case on their regular maintenance??

As for noise and shifting... in the short drives I've had it on it seems to shift fine, but having nothing else to compare it to, I don't know what noises are supposed to be normal vs. not. There is a particularly loud whine that I was curious about. I thought it sounded like transmission or transfer case whine (kinda like some cars make in reverse...) but one of my buddies is convinced it's rear end or rear tire noise.

Most transfer cases do make a terrible whine.

I checked out your other thread. Nice truck!

Quote Originally Posted by oilcan View Post
    Most transfer cases do make a terrible whine.

I checked out your other thread. Nice truck!
    Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it.

I will have to see if I can get a good recording of the truck's sounds and let you guys analyze for me. Maybe you can help me figure out if I should start saving for my NP205 now, or later...

Might as well start saving now. Even if the t-case lasts forever, you'll be pumping that cash into the truck for something else anyway.

I'd say run that sucka' until it comes apart. Or at least until you can't stand the racket anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by oilcan View Post
    Might as well start saving now. Even if the t-case lasts forever, you'll be pumping that cash into the truck for something else anyway.
    Lol I know... it's just a matter of what and when...

I agree with Zach, most likely the oil hasn't been changed in years, . .and it is probably from thrust washers in the transfer case and synchros in the transmission. Fill it up, run it a bit, and then change it out again. As long as it shifts okay, isn't noisy beyond belief or vibrates a lot, . and doesn't produce more of the wonderful glitter, . ..I wouldn't worry about it. ..