Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Going Rockwells, anyone else done this yet?

I know on my site I have pictures of one guy who went with rockwells and 53" tires. And it looked like he had plenty of clearance for the oil pan and the almost centered front diff.
    I now have to decide on what tcase I want to run for the best alignment and clearance. I obviously want the strength of a 205, so a doubler setup would make sense for gears, strength, and I could clock it as needed.
    Only problem is that I dream of a flat belly pan rather then the tcase hanging low.

As for progress. Well, I sold the axles/custom rims/tires.
    I will be picking up my new 2.5 ton rockwells this weekend. And I am not sure when I will get my tires (still haven't decided between 48" or 53").
    I almost had a set of 53" tires on beadlock rims, but I missed that deal.
    I think I will get the custom two piece rims with the internal double beadlock setup. Very clean looking, very easy to mount/dismount tires, and about the best beadlock setup I know of.

Man, right now the truck is sitting on it's springs, on the ground. It has been a LONG time since I had to lean over to put my elbows on the hood!!!

I've got a set of excellant condition Goodyear 1600-20 (53" tall) tires sitting in Wisconsin that I may never get around to using.
    You can have them cheap.
    Email me if you are interested.

Rollie

Sent you an email.
    Thanks for the offer.

I got a hippy buddy here who runs Rockwells under his buggy. He has the 53" casings that look like the tread of an XL. Those things had no traction in mud at all and filled up quick. He ended up sawzaling out every other lug, but still had no real traction to speak of.

He used his rig for only off-road use and ended up getting tractor tires all the way around. He had to custom make his rims, but in the end it was sharp and unstopable.

No real useful information here.....I'm just adding my $.0001

-B.

I am not overly worried about mud.
    I think one thing that typically never happens, is that the sidewalls are never really broken in to help them flex.
    After talking to a guy that runs competition buggies, he says to pull the valve stem core and run them around until they really start flexing the side walls. After that you can get good sidewall flex at 3 to 7 psi.
    Custom rims will have the insert for the beadlock, so running no air to break them in is no big deal.
    He also says that once the sidewall is broken in, they can really grab well.
    Also to watch out for different compound types, as some of these tires are actually a softer compound the what is used on Boggers.

Haha, and yeah B. I made you a Mod so you couldn't keep changing your title based on post count!!!

Oh yeah, because I plan on going with pinion brakes, I was thinking of converting over to a manual braking master cylinder from a corvette. This eleminates the need for a running engine to operate the brakes (plus it helps to have brakes while it's still a project and isn't running).
    I take it that this is a very straight forward and simple swap over to the manual MC? Anyone have the part number I need before I start searching around. Suggestions welcome for rotor/caliper setups that you have seen used. It doesn't take much of a rotor to stop it all when it is before the gear reduction!

Default Need help getting new tires.

Thanks again for the offer on tires Rollie. I am now trying to see if I can find a cheaper way to get them to me.

Hammer: Barry is running Rockwells under his flip-hood monster. http://community.webshots.com/photo/...02901260YdqPaU

I might have some more shots to email you if I look... or he might.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Hammer, I'm in process. Just ordered full set of wheel brakes and detroits from USA6bi, will use 1100x20 Goodyear snow tread for a little while.

A couple of Rockwell notes:

The chunk will fit in a 5 gallon bucket...sort of. I'm not sure yet if the bucket will come off...but it's easy to store for a little while.

You don't have to take off the knuckles to put new boots on it.

If the grease ain't oily, you prolly don't need new axle seals.

Get used to GREASE...and lots of it!!

If you decide to go with a high clearance turtle shell (I did), cut from the inside out so you don't dig into the housing with the torch getting the pan off. You can touch up and get the rest once the full pan is off.

Use the two of the studded nuts that are under the chunk's pinion housing to split its seal to the housing. I stacked 2-3 nickels in there, then unthreaded the nut and it broke the seal the gasket had. Do not underestimate the power (gravitational pull) of the chunk. It's friggin heavy and doesn't balance at all.
    Big Blocks RULE!

I'd have used a Sawzall, and then gotten really ed it was taking so long.

Just for more cautionary warning type stuff, every single Rockwell buildup I've seen in mags and online has shown a hoist being used on the Chunk. So, heavy it is. Be careful.
    **I heart Bump_r **