Thread: Swapping points to hei

Default Swapping points to hei

I'm getting ready to take out the points dizy and put in an hei dizy on my 366. The hei is from another 366 so I know it will fit. I was wondering, there is up and down play in the shaft inside the housing. Is this a sign that it needs rebuilt? Also, the harness has 3 wires. I read in another post that had 4 wires a and c get wired together, should I do the same with b getting 12v? Thanks for any help.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

They will have some play up and down Chris. You can grab the shaft housing and feel/hear play when you shake them. Or is yours doing a "sliiiiiide, thunk!" when you tilt it up and down? That would be bad.

The 3 wires coming from the base of the HEI plug into the cap. The cap will then have a place for you to plug in the 12V+ and a tach. These are normally marked on the cap too.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Cool, mine is without cap currently. No just a little up and down play, no clunk.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

I was told they should have .020in of end play you can shim the end play between the gear and the housing

I have shimmed mine on a civy 350 HEI. You can put ring and pinion contact paste on the driven gear and install it and rotate. Push down on the top rotor mount to start and see where it walks to. Read the pattern and see if it the wear is causing the contact to wander towards the end of the tooth away from ideal center. Shim accordingly.

I know you already have a dizzy Gimp, but does pertronix make a replacement? I put one on on the exwifes GTO and it made a big difference. HEI would make more spark though.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

The A and C terminals are for the vehicles with electronic spark control. The earlier or heavier duty vehicles would not have had that and thus it isn't applicable in your situation. Crossing A and C on the vehicles with the spark control just bypasses the adjustment made by the computer (which was based on input from the knock sensor). That is IIRC.