Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This years project...715 tow rig

Sounds like a great project. I would think pulling that much weight with 38 inch tires and an overdrive, you might want to consider 4.56 gears. With 4.10's and 38's, you will be under 1500 RPM's at 55.

I have an 05 Ram 2500 with 35's. I towed my M-715 to St. Louis the other day in a heavy wind. Even with the diesel, I wish I had a bit lower gears. I also run under 1500 rpm at 55 mph.

Either way, it sounds like a great project. Can't wait to see your progress. Besides, what better to pull Jeeps with than another Jeep. Good luck.

I hope it turns out well for you. Are you going to install any creature comforts?

I used to tow two jeeps on a trailer myself and when it was hot outside I was sure glad I had air conditioning in my tow vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Troop ISP View Post
    Sounds like a great project. I would think pulling that much weight with 38 inch tires and an overdrive, you might want to consider 4.56 gears. With 4.10's and 38's, you will be under 1500 RPM's at 55.

I have an 05 Ram 2500 with 35's. I towed my M-715 to St. Louis the other day in a heavy wind. Even with the diesel, I wish I had a bit lower gears. I also run under 1500 rpm at 55 mph.

Either way, it sounds like a great project. Can't wait to see your progress. Besides, what better to pull Jeeps with than another Jeep. Good luck.

My friend has HMMWV tires (37") 4.10s. Getrag G360 and 6BT. Certainly not undergeared. Acutally a really nice combo. But I guess it's all about compromises.
    Last edited by Mikel; January 19th, 2014 at 07:07 AM.

We'll see....I could regear them (I have them) if needed.....Or I am not opposed to getting CUCCV axles which would give me the 4.56.....

Quote Originally Posted by Troop ISP View Post

Is that real money?

Does he tow with it? What does he run for highway RPM's

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    My friend has HMMWV tires (37") 4.10s. Getrag G360 and 6BT. Certainly not undergeared. Acutally a really nice combo. But I guess it's all about compromises.
    Is that real money?

Quote Originally Posted by ray steadward View Post
    Does he tow with it? What does he run for highway RPM's
    I don't think he's towed anything particularly heavy. No tach, but he's probably at 1900RPM at 65.

Mine has 4.56s and 38.5s (roughly equivalent to my friend's 4.10s and 37s). No lack of power. Would be nice to have more gears.

Would be nice to have more axles. This is what Mikel meant to say.

[/QUOTE]

Here is a good website for doing gear calculations. Plug in your gears, tire diameter, transmission, transfer case, etc. and it will tell you everything you want to know.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Cool project. Have you done any more digging on the Superduty axles? What years were you looking into and are you using SRW or DRW axles?

I looked into '00 SRW Duty axles but the WMS to WMS was almost 4" narrower on the rear (68.9" Duty vs. 72.5" M715) and the front was over 5" narrower (68.3" Duty vs. 73.5" M715). Not sure on the dually specs though.

Just curious what you've found. Good luck on the project - we'll be watching!

Sounds like a cool project, will be watching as you progress.
    Both trucks look pretty good, yellow one seems like the better of the two...

At one point I had picked up a set of F350 superduty axles (dirt cheap) I thought I might use, but ended up selling them mainly because I was going to run lower gears (had 3.54s), I still don't know what axles i'll run

CUCV axles are certainly a great choice, 4.56 gears, rear detroit locker...

With the ford superduty axles remember they are a 8x170mm bolt pattern vs the older more common 8x6.5 pattern, ford went metric I think in 1997?

Superduty axles:

Pros
    - cheap, easy to acquire
    - some front D60s are 35 spline out to the hub
    - the D60 uses larger diameter axle tubes than standard D60
    - D60 knuckles are bigger with thicker castings
    - front D60 is high pinion
    - rear will already have disc breaks, no need to convert it

Cons
    - metric bolt pattern
    - some have the front vacuum disconnect junk
    - ball joint vs. kingpin axle strength