Re: BBC header selection, what did you use?
Post by barrman on Sept 19, 2006, 9:57am

Mark,
It all depends on what you define "out perform" as.

Aftermarket headers will almost always make more top end power. They will sound better and the engine will probably get better gas milage going down the highway with the cruise set. This is really true of modern efi engines.

But, except for a very few brands and applications that are really expensive. Headers will not "out perform" OEM manifolds when it comes to longevity and leaks. The OEM's concentrate on stuff that will stay bolted on and not cause return issues with leaks. Especially all vehicles made after 1967 when the EPA got their fingers in the exhaust pie.

Many headers will not out perform OEM manifolds when it comes to low rpm high torque situations. I define "low rpm" as 2,000 rpm and lower. As pointed out above, the smaller the valve and exhaust pipe, the more low end torque an engine will make compared to a big exhaust valve and huge exhaust system on the same engine.

Banks and Edelbrock both make CAFE legal headers for the newer stuff. That is a big hurdle to go over. I also think both companies make good products they stand behind and have for years. If you can find something from them that will fit the truck, go for it. I have tried most of the other brands in the past and always wished I hadn't a few years down the road when the headers start to either rust out or burn through. This is not counting the almost monthly chore of re-tightening the headers to the engine, really hard spark plug changes and the always leaking flange gasket that takes about 5 hands to get right.

Then you need to consider the replacement issues. Say bought a hooker set up today. 2-4 years from now when it is all warped, rusted and burned through, you will have to replace them. You didn't like how their product worked and you are going to try the Banks. You will probably have to get different bolts to make it attach to the engine. Then your existing pipe won't match up and probably will have the wrong end on it anyway.

Unless you are going to be drag racing, mud bogging or sand running your M715, I really can't see an advantage to headers on a daily driven street legal truck.