Thread: Capacitive Discharge Ignition

I'm expecting my new Pertronix Ignitor kit today to be installed in my civvie distributor on the 230. I have an old (but good) Permatune capactive discharge unit from a Porsche 911 I owned. I have read that the capacitive discharge (CD) units such as MSD can be used with Pertronix units: anyone have any experience? I have the pinouts for the Permatune unit and I might just try it. Might make the old Tornado whirl.

I have heard good things about the pertronix units. I kept trying to convince my ex wife that that was the way to go on her GTO. I could not keep points adjusted in that thing. It would run like a raped ape and then stumble and surge at lower RPM's. Like the rubbing block was wearing prematurely. If the pertronix units are reliable and stand up to long life I would be glad to have something that needed no adjustment. Let us know how it goes...
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

msd and crane hyfire systems create multiple sparks at low rpms and about 3000 revs it switches to a single powerful spark. the petronix does work good with the cdi units and at an idle if you are running rich it'll burn the fuel better and create a better idle, more combustion burned = more power too. its well worth the time to due it. Ive tried to talk my boss into installing one one his boat that I built the motor on for 2 yrs and finally got him to do it and he now admits that it was the best money hes ever spent. 428 with alum. heads, 305 comp cam. it'll idle all day long now and wont foul plugs out. just dont use plattnium plugs as they stay hotter than standard plugs and can cause it to burn holes in things. use regular plugs and your in there.
    you can see the crane hyfire unit in the rt upper corner and the crane lx 80 coil on the engine and petronix unit under cap. crane unit has 300 milijoils of fire while msd is conciderably less.

After thinking about this, I've done some research. Seems these CD...capacitive discharge...units work with points as well as triggering ignitions. Lots of types out there: MSD, Pertronix's 'Second Strike', etc. Might be a way to improve performance for our trucks among those who don't want to go to the triggering ignitions. An ebay look showed bunches of MSD 6 and 6AL units. They seem pricy but are available.