Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NP200 Conversion Pictures

Compexp,
    Look at the first page of this topic. I posted pictures and a few words several months ago about the straight thru conversion. Last week somebody asked about it. I responded with a lot of words, describing exactly what I took off, put on, what parts I used, where I got them and how much they cost. I will be glad to help, but read the first page of this topic please.

Danarchy,
    Everything in my drivetrain is completely stock including the NDT tires except for the straight thru conversion. I plan on swaping out engine and trans sometime in the near future as money allows. I also have converted over to power steering. The rest of my modifications are cab and bed related or cosmetic.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Heat tracing is often applied by mounting it to the surface with a thermal cement and keeping it in place with a band (like a hose clamp). If I were going to add cooling fins to my T-case (which I'm not), I would mount them in this way and not weld to the case.

3. Default

Barrman-
    Sorry, this is what threw me!
    My case still gets up into the 200 degree plus area when driven at high speed, 50mph, for more than 20 minutes or so. I have not driven it at 60 mph for hours like some of the other members, so I don't know how hot it will really get.
    I was wondering how you were going 60 mph with a stock truck.
    Are you planning to change you're gearing when you swap engines in the future? How about you're tires?Are you sticking with NTD's?
    I am on the fence weather to stay stock or modify(engine,tires,gears...)
    1969 M715

If it werent for the tcase heat, I could drive 60 all the time on the highway...sure I added a 2 barrel, locking front hubs and a civvy ignition, but I could do 60 before all that too...stock tires and gears.
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

5. Default

o.k.-what do Locking Front Hubs have to do with it?
    Until I get my steering box issues worked out, I don't plan on setting any speed records(45 on speedo is tops so far....and I was nervous!)
    1969 M715

Default Posts in the old site

Locking hubs mean you can allow the front axle shafts, differential and front drive shaft to turn freely whenever the tire turns, locked in, or not to turn, locked out. Like on a stock truck, the front tire turning, NOT in 4wd but because your moving, turns the axle, diff and driveshaft back to the tcase. This causes a lot of drag on the vehicle that the engine is overcoming by working harder. It is like driving with your ebrake half on or better all the time.
    Locking out the parts that, in 2WD anyway, you are not using, gives better acceleration, less wear and tear, and better mileage. To go into 4WD, you turn the knob on the hub and engage the tcase lever and away you go...if you are going to use 4WD soon anyway, you can drive with the front axle locked in and just go in and out of 4WD just like a stock truck.
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Dan,
    You just got explained to as if you were a kid! Brute thought you had no idea what a lockout does!

Since you haven't tried to push your rig yet, you don't know- but at top speed every little bit of power you can save the motor helps you do more. It's not only that at 55 or so the motor is close to red-lining, but at that speed it's almost played out. The lockouts help that 230 get back a couple of horses and it, in turn, can turn those re-claimed horses into a few extra MPH. The lockouts do make a difference, but a difference you can only tell if you have the stock motor. If you swap it out to a 350 or something else then you can't tell if you have them locked in or out....but with the 230 it means the difference between climbing a hill at 55 or chugging down to 45.

I, too, did the lockout, 2 barrel, civvy distributor stuff in an effort to get more power. This is how it was for me:
    Lockouts got me a noticeable difference.
    Distributor swap got me a smoother running 230, but no noticeable power.
    The 2 barrel swap was what did it. I was then able to wind the motor up so that it sounded like it was going to tear apart......and then one day on the highway I got it to 65 and it tore apart. Red-lined for too long and ate the cam.

It's all about freeing up horsepower.
    -B.

I think I am putting you in the same class as boomerangs from now on b-....
    brute4c

Whhaaaaa???? I love you Man!! How can you say that to me! All I want is for you to be happy!

Are you working now, or are you at home? I only ask here as opposed to in a PM because others have asked me and I think they want to know too.

Do you drink coffee? Are your boys coming with you to the FE? Are you gonna wear a chef's hat and grill?

Some of us were wondering,
    -B.

(You gotta admitt, I was right in my serious post above about the lockouts. I helped Dan.)

10. Default

I thought I understood Locking Hubs,and -B. made it alittle more clear, but this is the 1st 4-wheel drive vehicle I have owned. Thanks for the confusion. Barrman Help!
    1969 M715