Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Going Rockwells, anyone else done this yet?

I'll have more clearance with my Rockwell and 41's than a dana 60 and 41's. With the Dana you have the casting to deal with that can be shaved some, but really has just got to be dealt with, PLUS the large size of the ring gear in deep gear sets. Though the Rockwell is a big rear, the pan can be raised and the axle tubes, thought square...really aren't much larger then the round tube big dana's. Yeah...it's mega overkill, and a lot of work, but I'm not asking anyone else to do it and it's where I want the truck to be. Brutally stoudt, still easily street driven, and not too exotic looking from a glance...or a cops glance. PA blows.
    Big Blocks RULE!

cool.. just don't get all goofy all of a sudden, and paint the axles red or something LOL... should be fine.
    **I heart Bump_r **

OH yeah....bright green with the old pan welded straight on the back with a big MR.YUK face. I'm leaving them dirty and rusted and may do some creative green and black and mud to make them look like they've lived there for a while. I love rattle can OD.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Ah, so after a little more background checking, I will NOT be getting anything from Daniel at 6x6. It would seem that he has screwed around way too many people.
    Here is just one post that talks about him, as they ended up going back and deleting ALL of daniel's posts on the boards.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=165550

Btw, Johns351C has a very good reputation, and is where I will be ordering my rims from when it comes time for that.

Just thought I would give you guys a heads up on this. I would HATE to loose money, time, and potentially get a crappy product from dealing with a person like this.

Oh yeah, forgot to post a pic. I took the axles out and sold them. And now it looks pretty sad sitting there on the leaf springs! Lol.

http://www.froadin.com/images/cj5/2004_02_26_023.JPG

Hammer, do you realize how big and heavy 53" Michelins are? Have you looked that the Firestone SA DPLX tires? They look like Denman Ground Hawgs and come in two sizes for 19.5" wheel and 22.5" Do a search for firestone truck and it should being up Firestone/Bridgestone site.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Yup, 340 lbs each is about the weight of a 53" tire.
    I figured out the weight of the axles (with brakes removed), rims/tires, should weigh in at least 2800 lbs.
    And I specifically want the 20" rim setup. Have you seen the killer rims at www.stazworks.com ? John does some top notch work! And the insert style beadlock is the best setup that I know of.
    The heavy duty 20"x10.25" heavy duty rim with insert will run me about $265 each. And any back spacing from 3.5-6.75". Although I am not sure what back spacing I will need as of yet.

Oh yeah, the weight really helps with the lower center of gravity. The tires are CHEAP! I can get used ones with half tread for about $60 each. NEW ones for about $200 each. The tread is actually a soft compound, and easily grooved if I so desire.
    And with the 20" rim, I get access to all the military tires. Which there always seems to be a great surplus of

Hmmmm that place looks pretty interesting.. Stazworks I mean... Those tires are meaty looking! Wish they came in a smaller size, say 42".....
    **I heart Bump_r **

http://usa6x6.com/military/tires/ima..._warehouse.jpg

Not to use their site, but that was one of the few to show a picture of the smaller tire you would want/need.

And yeah, John makes some killer rims. I LOVE the idea of two piece rims that come apart rather then rings'O-DEATH! And I really never liked the idea of the outside ring beadlock design. The military really had the right idea with the HMMWV internal beadlock setup.