Thread: Spring over rear shackles

Default parting out M-715's

For you spring over guys, I have a question, I am considering doing the spring over in the front, and shackle flip, front rear spring mount flip, does the shackle flip in the rear limit the amount of downward travel, when the shackle is on top of the spring like in factory form it seems like there is some droop, but if you flip it does it take away from or limit droop. Another question is if given the choice would you stay with the factory manual trans when doing the spring over and larger tires or go with an automatic trans. I am in the process of swapping in a buick 350 from a 69 civilian truck, could do either trans but would like opinions of guys who may have done similiar swaps. I want to run at least a 40 inch tires, possible 42 inch tires. How do you're rigs handle on the pavement with spring overs and large tires? can you do 60mph? Any infor appreciated, Thanks Fisherman

Of the several springovers I have seen and driven...none were mine....they drove as much speed as you wanted to push them to...had one over 70 for sure...Thanks Drew!!...and they all handled fine. It would apear that running higher than 39.5 inch tires would require body lift or additional spring lift as 39.5 clear, barely, at full articulation. None of these trucks seemed to suffer from limitations in travel front or rear...they had 2 leaves removed on each corner and the ride and flex was incredible compared to the stock truck..that with v-8 power, even an average 350, will turn a stock truck into a completely different vehicle....you wont ever go back...
    I think wheter you go 4 speed or auto is personal preference and would depend on what ratios you are looking for on the low end and the high end, possible overdrive, and if you would rather have a clutch or not...that part could be very effective either way.
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

The spring over in the front is much easier to do than the shackle/spring mount flip in the rear. It took me a few hours to do the front and almost a whole day to do the rear. The main pin for the front rear spring mount goes through the frame and is welded onto a plate that is inside the frame. Once the rivots are drilled out, the welded pin has to be ground off from the inside. The gas tank may have to be removed to do the driver side; I don't remember how much room is there, but i'm pretty sure that it will have to come off. One other thing that you will have to do is re-drill a hole lower in the frame because the main pin is offset from the bolt pattern in the mount. As to axle droop, I removed 3 leaves from the rear spring pack starting with the smallest and then ever other one and the truck seems to flex just fine. I did not measure axle droop before the springover and shackle flip, but I do know that it flexes a whole lot more now than it did before.
    The front springover is pretty easy. Just weld on some new perch mounts and move the springs. The steering linkage will need some modifications. Look for the "springover" post in this listing from a few days ago, and that will give you a good idea of what needs to be done.
    As far as the tranny, I think that it is a matter of preference. I know two people that have done 350 conversions. One stayed with the original manual tranny, and the other went with an auto. Both trucks had 40 + inch tires and ran 70 mph with no problems. If you decide to go with the manual tranny, you need to buy an adapter so that it will bolt to your 350. Check with Advanced Adapters, I think they have these adapters for $400-$500.
    Hope this helps !

Jeremy

Just as a note of caution...I know Chad had removed 3 leaves in the rear...although I dont know which 3 so that is probably the difference...but he had pretty bad axle wrap and but one back in...
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!