Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jed : M715 Cab Removal

Default jed : M715 Cab Removal

M715 Cab Removal
    Post by jed on Jul 4, 2006, 11:38am

Here's some pictures of when I pulled the cab off my M715.

Chevy 350 installed by previous owner.

Home-made T-98 to Chevy adapter

Here's the reason I decided to pull the body off. This is the wrong way to mount a power steering box! There were also lots of cracks all over the front of the truck that needed to be fixed.

The good news is that I already have the front end fixed and I just started sandblasting today. I'll try to get more pictures of the reworked front end (SOA, remounted ps box).

Default socal715 :

Re: M715 Cab Removal
    Post by socal715 on Jul 4, 2006, 12:54pm

Geeez nice crane dude.. thats out of hand

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jul 4, 2006, 1:40pm

if i lifted a body with the straps hooked to the grill guard, across the door sides, over the drip rails with the front clip still attached everything would be bent, tweaked or dented. some guys have all the LUCK

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Jul 4, 2006, 2:16pm

Any tips on lifting the cab off with out the use of a crane? Look forward to seeing your pics of the reworked front end.

Default jed :

Post by jed on Jul 4, 2006, 2:32pm

I made sure cab was solid BEFORE lifting it off., then set it on a big pallet so it's nice and easy to move around with a forklift. Yeah I know, no fair with the crane and forklift, but hey, if you've got 'em, you'd be dumb not to use 'em right?

Default mikel :

Post by mikel on Jul 4, 2006, 2:43pm

Wow Looks like someone chopped off a chunk of FSJ frame (with the steering box attached) and very poorly welded it to the M715 frame

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jul 4, 2006, 3:12pm

TO GET A CAB OFF WITH OUT A CRANE. after unbolting everything and i recomend removeing the front clip, you can jack each side up untill it clears the highest piont of the frame-tires etc. then roll truck out from under it. dont try a cherry picker cause its too heavy becaise of the ackwardsness of the lift. even 2 pickers will get you hurt and a cab dropped. also 4 good stout guys can lift a completely striped cab ok. TAKE DOORS OFF THERE HEAVY. ALSO IF YOU HAVE A CRANE USE LONGER STRAPS TO LESSEN THE INWARD PULL OF THEM.I USE 12FT. LONG AND I USE SOME SPREADERS TO HOLD STRAPS OPEN (APART )

Default jed :

Post by jed on Jul 4, 2006, 9:02pm

Quote:
    ALSO IF YOU HAVE A CRANE USE LONGER STRAPS TO LESSEN THE INWARD PULL OF THEM.I USE 12FT. LONG AND I USE SOME SPREADERS TO HOLD STRAPS OPEN (APART

Or you can use 8FT. straps, they did the job just fine.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Jul 4, 2006, 9:31pm

I disagree, I have removed and replaced my cab tub with a engine crane, by myself, repeatedly. It can be done easily, you just have to have enough room on the sides to manuver the engine crane. I did it with the front clip, top and frame, doors, and the windshield frame removed. I must stress that without the top and doors, the cab tub will fold up when you lift it from it's four corners with chains or straps. If you can't make a rig to distribute the load so that the straps or chains lift straight up, instead of pulling toward the center, then you will have to either leave the doors on, or temporarily weld in some braces in the door openings to keep it all square.

Here's a pic that sort of shows my workspace in a two car, barn style garage. In the background you can see the cab tub on the ground with a Dodge truck hood laid across it.

I had to remove the cab and replace it a few times while clearancing the firewall and making mods to the shifter hole in the trans cover.

Default hetzer :

Post by hetzer on Jul 4, 2006, 10:46pm

I took mine off after I had taken everything off of it with a cherry picker. I rigged some chain and used the seat bolt holes and a third point up front (don't recall exactly) for balance.

It would have been nice to not do it myself but I got it off.

I did not put it back on that way, used a service truck crane to do that. Much easier.