Thread: Bad frame spring mount pin.

Exclamation Bad frame spring mount pin.

While removing my rear spring to clean the rear shackle bolts do to ceased shackles. The spring mount pin is turing inside the frame and i cant get the shackle off. What is the best way to service this. Or i was thinking of moving the springs under the frame remove two leaves, and put a decent hanger and shackle into the mix. Any idea how much lift that would give me in the rear?

The back of the bolt is welded into the frame...reweld that and you shoul be able to take care of the front side.

If you measure from the present height of the spring eye to where you figure it is going to be after the move, that will be your lift mount...basically, if you lower the eye by 5 inches, you raise te frame by 5 inches...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Mine were really difficult to remove. One of them sheared off and I basically used the better mounts from a parts truck I have. The problem is, they are rivited on sandwhiching the frame and the main pin is welded to both halves of the mount. You'll also have to remove the gas tank to get to the inside of the driver's side. If yours is turning, both welds are probably broken and the rust has eaten through the brass bushing and seized shaft and spring eye together. All this is regarding the front of the rear springs. The rear should be a little easier since it's all on the outside of the frame. Don't be a dummy like me and use a gear puller or you'll collapse the end of the hollow shaft. The best way is to just drop the rear ciompletely off the springs out of the way and then you only have to wrestle one bear at a time. Hope it goes well.
    Last edited by wrecker; July 9th, 2009 at 03:15 PM.

Moving the springs under the frame will also let you use a common 14bolt GM rear without the brake drums hitting the springs. If you decide to modify this way, I would measure the GM axle and match the new mounts to that. A member named ColonelHart I believe did this a couple years ago and posted a little about it. Try a search if you want to see how it was done.