Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holley vs. Weber

Default Holley vs. Weber

Currently on my truck I have a Holley 2300 on my Chevy 292 and can't stand it. I always have to adjust it and it just never seems to run right. I am thinking about getting a Weber but not sure which one to get. What are the benefits of the Weber over the Holley? What is the correct one to get for my 4.8L 292? I am running an Offenhauser 4 bbl intake with a two bbl adapter.

i want your holly for my truck! i have a 350 chevy and it has a 2bl intake on it. it's gatta be better than the vari-jet it has now.....i know nothing about webber carbs......al

I have run a Holley 2300 before and loved it. Had one on my 79 Chevy LUV 4x4 that I swapped in a Ford 2.8 V-6 to. Put a lot of hard miles on it and the carb worked great. How old is your carb? Is the throttle shaft worn? Is the metering plate warped at all? Is your power valve blown? I would keep the Holley over Weber. You sure its the carb that is giving the problem and not another part of the engine?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Holley in my opinion is not a very good carburetor. Again, that is strictly my opinion. There are lots of mods out there now to get around some of their limitations and failures, but since they filed for bankruptcy, their customer service went into the tank along with their finances.

Weber makes a good carburetor, but you will need a good understanding of jetting procedure to get them to work properly for anything other than a popular bolt on application like a Jeep 258, or the like. They are a lot more technical.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The carb is not very old at all, Maybe two years old, but the jeep is not driven very much. Never really ran right.

I hate Holley's - maybe I'm just too stupid to get them to run right, but I've never had good luck with them.
    I swear by Demon carbs! I've had a few now and run them on engines from 302 to 514 ci and don't have any complaints, even off camber or hill climbing (what little hills we have here in MI).
    I've also had really good luck with Edlebrock - you might want to look at their 1404 - square bore 4v 500cfm with a manual choke. Might get a little more oomph out of that straight 6. Put it on and then set the idle screws and forget about it. Not really a performance part but like I said, I've had excellent luck with both their 1406 and 1407 (600 & 750 cfm respectively).

$.02
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

I think Gunny is looking fr a 2 barrel...not sure if Demon or Edelbrock have anything in that style.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I have a Weber 45DCOE on my Mini. That is the huge side draft thing that you would need 3 of and new intakes. You can buy EFI for a lot less. That being said, I haven't touched it in 7 years. The car sits all summer because it is too hot to drive. I get in around October, give a shot of ether, fire it up and park it some time around April. Idle and fuel mixture stay spot on.

I have only been around the IDA Webers of Kwai and they seem to work great.

All that being written. How much more money would it be to go EFI with a junk yard throttle body and pieces? People are scared of efi because it has things that are new or complicated. When actually, it is pretty simple. Something measures the air coming in, something else lets air in to control the idle, something tells the computer where the throttle plates are and an O2 sensor gives a report to the computer about how good of a job it is doing mixing the air and fuel. Several times a second! No mechanical carb can come close unless you are set up to only run wide open on a race track, have tuned for that exact rpm, temperature, elevation and density alltitude.

I haven't been on your straight 6 web sites in a while, but I remember guys were playing with efi the last time I was there. You might find it is only a hundred or two dollars more today, yet way cheaper in headaches for years to come.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The EFI off a Ford straight 6 might be just the bet. They were on a bunch of F150's and EFI became standard on the straight 6 starting in 1987.

Jon, he said "I am running an Offenhauser 4 bbl intake with a two bbl adapter." He can just ditch the adapter. The only problem would be if the Offy is a spread bore instead of a square bore. I've run the Edlebrock 600cfm on 302's with great success and his straight 6 is only a little smaller at 292ci so the 500 might be a good thing.
    भगवान तुम्हें प्यार करता है

The offy is a square bore so the Edelbrock would fit, I just think 500 cfm is a lot for the 292. I have used Edelbrock in the past and had great success with them, but they were on larger engines.

Tim, having a 24 volt system I might run into some problems with an EFI. Don't want more stuff under the hood than I need. Just want the truck to run good.