Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifting Shackles too narrow

Default Lifting Shackles too narrow

Has anybody bought a set of lifting shackles from these guys in the past?

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...ckles-3522.cfm

I ordered up a set because I only had one on my truck but when I received them there was a problem.

They fit the rear bumper and wheel tie downs with no problems but are too narrow to fit the stock front bumper/frame holes. I just measured them and they are in fact 2-3/4" inside width as stated on the website. The one stocker I had measures 3" inside width.

Any suggestions on the best method to widen them that 1/4" without losing any strength? Can I heat them up a bit or are they hardened to some degree? I guess I could always try widening them with a threaded rod and a couple nuts/washers on the inside.

I go the threaded rod method and bend them cold. Heat could change the temper of the metal and weaken them.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

i had the same prob mine fit everywhere but the front i guess when they cast the mounts for the front they got a little to wide i just spread mine as i put them on however they are very tight an dont move easily
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

The other option would be to grind a 1/4-3/8" off the front mounts with a hand grinder but I'm sure that would be a PITA and difficult to take an equal amount off each side.

Well, then, you could never tow the truck with a military tow bar either.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Good point, scratch that idea. I may never happen but I don't want to rule it out the possibility either. Thanks for pointing that out.

it will take two bends .... one to widen and the other to straighten the threads out
    a short heat cycle souldnt affect these just dont dunk in water

What if you just ground out the insides of the rings with a hand grinder? You could go slow and remove only a little at a time and stop when they fit....

Quote Originally Posted by fng View Post
    What if you just ground out the insides of the rings with a hand grinder? You could go slow and remove only a little at a time and stop when they fit....
    That's exactly what we did to make the shackles fit on the front of my truck.
    It's no little problem.

Just spread the shackles apart. You aren't going to break them. They don't have threads on the inside so there is no problem with threads. This is a pretty common problem. You don't need to grind on anything to make them fit. The problem is the shackle and not the truck.